1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Old Taxidermy And Facial Expressions

Discussion in 'Taxidermy History' started by PA, Sep 1, 2021.

1. PA

PA Well-Known Member

My daughter-in-law sent me this picture she saw on Twitter. It is not uncommon for museums to put up labels that indicate a specimen is being repaired or even being created. We have had a label for a coming mount for Foghorn Leghorn for many years, and I did find the right race of chicken that matches the colors, but have not found a chicken yet.
    Post Natural History Museum | Welcome to the Taxidermy.net Forum and Community!

However, this label, which is at the HMNH (presumably the Harvard Museum of Natural History) actually spells out why the mount needed to be repaired - facial expression was too scary.

(on a side note, some educators at the our museums now have a discussion with young children to brace them for viewing real specimens that have been mounted. The world is changing).

upload_2021-9-1_14-50-54.png
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  2. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Wasn't a male elephant's "member" removed from the mount that was as a museum, because it was offensive?

I believe it was at the Smithsonian in New York.

3. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

would like to have seen the before and after

4. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

Trans elephant?