1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Old Taxidermy And Facial Expressions

Discussion in 'Taxidermy History' started by PA, Sep 1, 2021.

1. PA

PA Well-Known Member

My daughter-in-law sent me this picture she saw on Twitter. It is not uncommon for museums to put up labels that indicate a specimen is being repaired or even being created. We have had a label for a coming mount for Foghorn Leghorn for many years, and I did find the right race of chicken that matches the colors, but have not found a chicken yet.
    Post Natural History Museum | Welcome to the Taxidermy.net Forum and Community!

However, this label, which is at the HMNH (presumably the Harvard Museum of Natural History) actually spells out why the mount needed to be repaired - facial expression was too scary.

(on a side note, some educators at the our museums now have a discussion with young children to brace them for viewing real specimens that have been mounted. The world is changing).

upload_2021-9-1_14-50-54.png
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  2. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Wasn't a male elephant's "member" removed from the mount that was as a museum, because it was offensive?

I believe it was at the Smithsonian in New York.

3. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

would like to have seen the before and after

4. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

Trans elephant?

5. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Well-Known Member

Texas
    What's wrong with this phrase emphasized above?

John C likes this.
  6. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

New York?

7. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

If I could find the original article, not being blessed with a photographic memory, I would know the location.
    So Joe, please fill us in...

8. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

It’s from the Harvard natural History Museum

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

By George, we wouldn’t want to hurt the tender feelins’ of those chilrens’. Heck, the demonic crap funneled into their brain from TV and video games is way worse!

John C likes this.