1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bacteria On Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Mouse17, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Mouse17

Mouse17 New Member

Hi there. I have a problem with bacteria on the surface of my moose skull. I had this issue with a coyote skull in the past and it went away after a peroxide soak, but with the moose being so big I would like to avoid buying enough peroxide to soak the thing in (it’s $6 a bottle where I live o_O)

Is there anything else I can do to get rid of it? I sprayed it down with rubbing alcohol a couple times but it came back pretty quick. 5CC798D1-DFEE-467D-832B-02F2B5ABF457.jpeg

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Get some Basic white powder from the hair supply store , make a paste using your peroxide, brush paste all over kinda thick and wrap it in clear wrap for couple days. That should do it. Take wrap off let paste dry , brush off . Rinse in clear water if need be , let dry , then seal it inside and out . If it hangs or is in a humid place, get one of those damp rid bags and hang in there with it or a dehumidifier.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Almost looks like iron spots as well. Use the paste method as above. After you wrap it, get it into as warm a spot as you can. If you have a small room somewhere, get a heater in there and crank it up on high to get it as hot in there as possible. Heat increases the action of the peroxide. If you still have those spots after that, try soaking it in a solution of Iron out and see if they go away.