1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bears

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Jimmy Rimrock, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Just wondering how difficult it is to get a good tan on a bear. I tan everything else inhouse with safety acid pickle, proper shaving and Lutan with excellent results. I have been shipping bears off to WG for dry tans but would like to avoid the 8 month or so turnaround. What is the best degrease process? I have been using liquid based goo, post pickle on anything greasy; fox, beaver, etc with OK results but not great.

Hope everybody has a great season, its off to elk camp for me !!

Thanks

2. Mandi

Mandi Active Member

Everything I researched said never attempt a bear. Well what did I do, I attempted a bear. It turned out great. Now it was a beast and took a lot of time and energy but I do everything by myself and do not have a helper. The weight and size made it difficult but my tan itself was great. Absolutely no slippage, loose hair, great stretch, no tannery damage to worry about. I just used standard salt, pickle, shave, pickle, neutralize, and brush tan. I did mix degreaser into my pickle.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

If you do decide to shop tan it , don’t worry bout degreasing till your 2nd pickle and after you fully tanned it . There is a degreaser that goes in your pickle . So I’ll do first pickle, then thin where needed, this is where I put the degreaser into pickle for 3 days and agitate it constantly , I then tan cream it , after 6 hours , I wash it again in a degreaser and dawn . Then dry it in towels , then mount or freeze .

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Bears can be very hard to do and it can take 3-4 degreasing to get them degreased properly. It’s nit rocket science but it does need care.
    One of the best degreaser is sold by tru-bond as you’ll need 90* water agitation to get them degreased properly.
    Yes you may get lucky once or twice but a bear not properly degreased can break down in areas where the grease imbedded itself .
    I use a citric acid ( natural degreaser) and I never rush them as I’ll leave a bear in there 2-3 months at a time, shave, use a degreaser back in the pickle. You have to get those pores open to get them cleaned.

3bears and joeym like this.
  5. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Thank you for the replies and info.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.