1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Replica 1st Attempt

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jward1010, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Jward1010

Jward1010 New Member

I had a first attempt at a replica today. I think I should have more white on the gill and less green across the top. I sprayed wet look gloss on top but it still looks dull. How can I fix this and what else do I need to change?
    upload_2021-9-4_15-45-50.jpeg

2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    First off hope you have tough skin and take what folks throw at you,
    This repo is terrible, head is almost like a carp.
    Next get you some good reference pics
    Is this a fiberglass or a plastic repo?
    If it’s fiberglass strip it down and start over
    If not try stripping some on back side, if it eats the plastic, white the fish out
    Reset the eye, and study the colors on your reference get a color wheel if needed,
    Learn to use your paints, blending and mixing, not going to hit subject of which type paint to use.
    I know some of the best in the world fish guys that use both types.
    Your gloss can be put on fairly heavy then hit with a heat gun

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    msestak and Wally Gator like this.

3. Jward1010

Jward1010 New Member

I want the hard truth. I bought this replica from vandykes and I thought the same about the head. I believe it was ARPS. I do not do fish taxidermy at all so this was the first try the whole way around. I am glad to get any feed back. Thats how we learn right!. would you suggest a different type of gloss? I used polytranspar laquer paints. Would you suggest lifetone or something else. I am going to give it another shot.

msestak likes this.
  4. Jward1010

Jward1010 New Member

Original Arps Replica

msestak likes this.
  5. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The head wouldn't be bad if you wouldn't open it up that much and had better eye set,apoxie blending in tail needs work,fin setting is bad,buy Rick Kranes DVD on perch he covers alot of info you need, we all learn from trial and error,keep working you will get there.

msestak and Kerby Ross like this.
  6. Jward1010

Jward1010 New Member

I know the clay needs alot of work. Thanks for the advice

msestak likes this.
  7. Clew

York, SC
    You can fix the head cut it off grind off the negative and you can roll from thier

msestak likes this.
  8. Clew

York, SC
    And the pec fin needs proper alignment
    This is where reference pics are so critical
    Look at the finite details and not the whole fish

msestak likes this.
  9. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

compare that to a live or fresh fish and see what you think, like everyone says reference , I wouldn't waste time on that fish ,I would buy a good blank and look at fish don't make stuff up

msestak likes this.
  10. Jward1010

Jward1010 New Member

Would it be worth priming and practicing the paint until the new blank comes?

msestak likes this.
  11. Clew

York, SC
    This blank would be good for practice since your beginning
    Don’t waste money on another blank when your learning
    I use lacquer paints, brand not important
    Powders, micas ,ashes, cosmetics
    Anything really to achieve the desired look I need

ARUsher, Wally Gator and msestak like this.
  12. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

yes it would !

13. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Everybody's first baby is an ugly baby to varying degrees depending on one's background and previous artistic experience - if any. Keeping it simple, my advice to you would be to look closer. For instance, take a look at your reference pic(s) and your replica and that first "stripe". First off, you'll perhaps notice with your reference pic that it isn't a perfect stripe at all. Is it in the right location on the fish? How far does it go down? Note the "stripes" unique shape. Also note the probable gaps within the "stripe". How many stripes and how much spacing between each? Does that spacing change a little? Do some stripes come down farther or less? Slow down and really look at your reference photos and try to approach the whole fish this way by breaking things down. Then look at it as a whole. The stripes are easier to break down because of their definition. But it's a good example of how to break down areas. Whatever works for you. A digital eframe or laptop can help too to zoom in on and break down sections. You need to take a step back and take the time to see what you're missing and don't be in such a hurry to show off your baby! PS What's the the bead weld at the tail base??? Lol. Sorry, but you need to blend that better (reference!). Don't worry about the open mouth much. IMO perch always look stupid open mouthed! It is what it is there...

14. Jward1010

Jward1010 New Member

I know the clay work is horrible and absolutely will be better next time around. I have to much everywhere I put it. I didn't repaint the whole thing but changed it a bit while I am waiting on a another blank. I appreciate all of the advice and feed back.

15. Clew

York, SC
    Post us a pic

16. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

The fin sets that come with a arp blank are always way to small. That spiny dorsal would work great on say a 8 in long perch! Paint and apoxie work is pretty rough. Pec fin is located just fine. Is it a pleasing position? No, but perch do fan their fins like that all the time. Specially when they move backwards.