1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can A Cape Be Re Tanned At A Tannery

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by donkeyman, Sep 6, 2021.

1. donkeyman

donkeyman Member

I received a very nice caribou cape that I was told had been wet tanned but left out to dry hard - I rehydrated it for 24 hrs and then sweated in a plastic bag in frig for 3 days but still the nose, ear butts and other areas wont relax to the point I cant work on them and some large areas seem very thick like it was not thinned or shaved. my question is if I dry it out can I send it to a tannery and expect to get a usable cape back or can a cape not be tanned twice ? thanks

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

To answer your question, yes it can be done . That said I’ve had it go both ways . Where it’s worked on most and everything was fine , then I’ve had them fall apart. You would be best to call the tannery you are planning to use and ask them . That way you could possibly find out what system was used to tan it the first time , to see if the system they use would or could be compatible.

15pt likes this.

3. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Yes and No. I sent in a beautiful blond grizzly that came back in pieces. I knew that going in so I wasn’t really surprised.

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

First off you really don’t need to have it retanned. You should be injecting warm salty, some relaxer into those areas to soften them up.
    Because those areas weren’t taken care of properly you need to introduce liquid into those areas by injecting them same as a tannery would do.
    Or I would just wrap those areas with my hydration solution overnight and see what happens.
    Retanning a cape can cause problems especially when the tannery doesn’t know what tan was used and it could easy fall apart or you get no stretch at all.

magicmick and George like this.
  5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

As I agree with all said here I didn’t suggest this as it was stated some big spots didn’t seem tanned . By doing such in my opinion it would have definitely started slipping if more water was introduced for any length of time .

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Bruce Rittel commented on this some time back. Rick Morgan and I discussed processes and how "retanning" serves no real purpose. No tannery I'm aware of suggests this. Wet tans and dry tans are exactly the same UNTIL THEY GET TO THE OILING PROCESS. Dry tans us a heavy petroleum based oil that is "kicked into the hide: and then tumbled in sawdust to remove excess oils. Wet tans, conversely use a water/lanolin based oil at which time excess is removed by hand and then folded for shipment. Put your hide in a lage container of warm water, salt, and a surfactant (they break the water surface tension and penetrate easier 'they make water wetter.) Make sure the muzzle, nostrils, and ear pockets get plenty of water. After an hour roll the face nside the hide. Place in a plastic bag and sweat it for a day or two in a cool place.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.