1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Advise For First Wildebeest

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Mike Powell, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I am took in my first wildebeest and got it capes out last night. The nose was different and there was an odd gland with “interesting” content. I’m wondering where I should cut the skull cap for placement on the form and do I remove the horn sheath as on other horned animals? Any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

It's been ages since I mounted a wildebeest. I don't remember doing anything different from other horned animals. I would certainly remove the horn sheaths if they will come off. I think they will. Leave plenty of skull cap. Better too much than not enough. As for the gland? Where is it located? I don't recall dealing with a musk gland...but it's been a minute since I had my hands on a wildebeest.

3. Mike Powell

Sorry about the multiple posts. The taxi net server froze up and kept going to a server “data error” page. It said to “try the post again later.” I assumed it had not posted, but when it finally went through multiple duplicate posts showed up and I have been unable to figure out how to delete the others. My apologies!

4. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

cut straight down behind the eye orbit and then back through the back of the skull just like the form is shaped. You can't remove the horns from the cores. You will still need to boil them and clean as much of the flesh out from between the horns and cores. to help you can drill some holes in the horns to let the hot water in. After you've boiled them take a wire and did as much of the matter out as you can

5. NMJagdHunter

NMJagdHunter Ted Wenner

Listen to Jerry, they aren't coming off. Clean as much inside as you can. I always coat the inside with permetherin and then seal up any drilled holes and the bases wiyh apoxie clay before mounting. Not really sure what the half life of permetherin is, but it makes me feel better, maybe someone has a better product lol

6. Mike Powell

I will ALWAYS listen to Jerry!!! Thanks guys for the advice!

NMJagdHunter and joeym like this.
  7. Mike Powell

Joey, it’s not a musk gland - I suppose it’s a lacrimal gland just inside the eye, but it is like nothing I’ve ever seen… it looks like a cross section of a hot dog. C20E93C3-26B3-40E5-BBC2-7D4F3519507F.jpeg

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I have no clue what it is, but I'd sure remove it! I see where Jerry said the cores can't be removed. I can believe that. I've only mounted one Blue Wildebeest, and that was probably 15 years ago.