1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Permatan Neutralizing

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Randy4536, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Randy4536

Randy4536 New Member

Recently did first neutralizing of trubond permatan, I had a 8lb deer cape 2.5 gal water. I started adding 1tbsp per 10 min adding slowly and by about the 6th feed , basically a hour
    I got it to 4.5 and keep in for 30 min. My question is how what is the proper process for feed rate? is that to slow or to fast. It did seem to foam pretty good when adding . Also do you check ph 30 seconds after adding or do you wait 5 mins to check ? I more use to PRO 1 neutralizing where its feeds of 1 hr in between ,checking ph before adding ,minimum 3 feeds and once to 4-4.5 sits in there for up to 3hrs after.
    Also that lubristretch seems very thin and light when diluted 4-1 compared to a pro 1 tan liquor used at full strength. Is it still comparable in quality?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

When buffering hides I’ll wait 15-20 minutes before I test with the pH strips and add more sodium bicarbonate if needed. This gives plenty of time to let the capes absorb and you’ll get a better reading of what the tanning solution is and proper buffering of the capes.
    Foaming is normal cause your adding sodium bicarbonate to an acid so don’t worry about that.
    Do not use Pro 1 directions with someone’s else’s tanning products. Each company has their methods that work with their products so don’t mess around with directions!
    Both oils are perfectly fine as what your doing will work properly with his tan for mounting, as trubond has two types of oils that are used for different purposes as Pro1 is more used for all capes.
    All in all these days there are so many new tanning products and each one has been designed by chemists with specific directions that needs to be followed and should never be mixed with other companies directions.

3. Randy4536

Randy4536 New Member

Thanks , Yeah I don’t use the pro 1 directions . I stick with the manufacturers directions. Pro 1 has a little more in depth directions . Time of feed . Amount of feed . I find normal whitetail cape to only take at most 3 tbsp with pro 1 , and true bond twice the amount to get to 4-4.5 . How many gallons of water per pound is used. Is there a equation ? All they list is 2.5 gal per deer cape. My capes are usually around 8-12 lbs. but I want to get some 20-25 on elk capes tanned. Would I just use 1/4 to 1/2 gal per pound ? What kind of effect will the amount water have on the tanning process,the ph will be effected with the amount of water in there obviously .

4. Frank E. Kotula

Randy most soak tans are based on drained weight of the skin and any kind of alteration of this , wether it’s less water, more water but exactly the right amount of tanning chemicals for its weight will cause an issue as to either over tanning or under tanning. I don’t mess around with trying different mixtures to see if it’ll work or not. I’m not a chemist and I trust the chemists who made these tans as they know what is needed to tan a cape at what weight etc.
    I use ez-100 and there’s two methods of making the tan and you can make a mix to cover the cape or weight it and get exactly what is needed to tan at a cheaper rate then mixing up more just cause you can. That’s more for those with no scales etc . Just follow directions and all will be fine, mess around with chemicals and the outcome can be having a cape with no stretch or improper tanned and then fall apart. JMO

5. Randy4536

Randy4536 New Member

Yes for sure , theres just no instructions for the amount of water used, just 2.5 gal for a normal sized cape. I weigh every item being tanned and match with amount of tannage required. Just wanted to know how much water is required per lb of hide. Thanks

6. Frank E. Kotula

Most deer take an average of 2-1/2 lbs so when I do weight with ez-100 and perma would be about the same.
    I weigh them divided in half and that’s the amount of water I use.
    44 lbs of drained skin =22 gallons of water