1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Domestic Cat

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Minde deMelo, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Minde deMelo

Minde deMelo New Member

I want to try a domestic cat taxidermy project. I have a small cat I got from a biology specimen place. I’m not really worried about the skinning part except the paws and tail. But I think I can manage. But I’m worried about slipping. Should I soak it in something before I start?

I sometimes soak my rats and mice in denatured alcohol to keep the slipping down would that work for a small cat?

also do I need to use a tanning sulution? I have a couple of different ones but I’ve never used them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I've done multiple house cats over the years and have no issues with slippage except for one that was found dead in their barn. It had a couple spots but not bad. You can thaw them in a pickle or just hang to thaw, I've done it both ways. I've used McKenzie tan on them with no issues. They are thin skinned and tan up easily.

Minde deMelo likes this.

3. Minde deMelo

Minde deMelo New Member

Thank you. I took it out to look at it, it’s more kitten size than full cat size. Actually not much bigger than a lot of the rats I’ve done so I might just go with the hang it dry. Guess I’ll have to just see. I do having 2 different tanning solutions if I feel the need. I was more worried about the slipping. So thank you again for posting.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You are welcome

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Kullis Kastaway has a DVD on how to mount cats and dogs. It would be a good idea to get that.

magicmick likes this.
  6. biology cats... those are injected with formalin. dont think you can tan that, sorry. put it in a jar and fill it with 70% rubbing alcohol instead

7. akhenenra

akhenenra Member

Did you end up doing that cat mount? If so where did you find a manikin for it? Any info would be appreciated, I'm considering doing a domestic cat as well.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I believe you will not find any commercial forms and that leaves you several options, carcass cast, carve or wrap your own or what I do a combination there of. FYI the best domestic cat eyes I found were from Belerus by a company called eyes for taxidermy I believe. they post adds on here.

akhenenra likes this.
  9. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

4AEFC21B-BAA6-4057-B90C-D992FB116CDD.jpeg I What I do is tan in the normal way of pickle and static tan. Then I buy a bobcat form no wires and then alter it to the cats body. Eyes are made from tochikin eye company. Call them up and you can get a set from them.