1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtann Question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Ira Taxidermy, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Ira Taxidermy

Ira Taxidermy New Member

NY
    I have used Krowtann once on a coyote cape and it seemed to work fine(I haven't mounted it yet so I don't know for sure how it will turn out). Now I want to tan a lifesize mink for a competition, but what would I do with the tail? I really don't want to split it because it is so small and would be hard to sew up, but will the tan get inside it? I read that a string can be put into the tail to act like a wick and keep it wet, but will this work on something so small? Also, I have it skinned to the knuckles so do I need to remove the toe bones?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

On squirrels, I have attached a cotton string to a large needle and ran it up through the tail and out the end. I had a wick that could wick the tanning agent, which was EZ-100 (submersible) from both ends.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Inject it with a syringe, I poke a hole at end of tail with a small wire so air can escape, then inject with the tanning system I’m using , as the rest sits in the bath . I’ll do the same with any oils I’m using.

4. Ira Taxidermy

Ira Taxidermy New Member

NY
    Thank you! I have a few squirrels and other small critters(and of course my mink) so I can try both of these methods. Can the hole be closed with super glue or will it not matter? Also will the toes absorb the tan? They were skinned to the knuckle so only the toe bones were left in.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

The hole don’t matter , anything you feel is not being penetrated you can inject using a syringe from the inside

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Initially, if you will immerse the skin in your tan, take a wire and maneuver it up down and around inside the tail to make sure it is full of tanning solution and void of air, your tail will tan. You will be agitating your skin twice daily, so perform the same procedure each time you agitate your skin to allow fresh tanning solution inside it. I've done this many, many times, and never had a tail slip.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

All of these methods will work fine for you.

8. Ira Taxidermy

Ira Taxidermy New Member

NY
    Thanks everyone! I just tanned a chipmunk my cat surprised me with the other day. I poked a hole in the end of the tail and it was too small for any string I had so I just squeezed the tan through it and it came out just fine! The toes also absorbed the tan well and since it was so small it only took about a day to tan.