1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degrease Tank

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by drwalleye, Sep 13, 2021.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

I had 2 big black 75 gal tanks last year that cracked ( thick plastic) then I bought a galvanized Tank but it corroded and turned my skulls orange, Where can I get a big rubber maid tank ? I thought Sea wolf said that's what they use. I want it big enough to submerge my skulls antlers and all. that's the only way I can keep them from growing mold on the antlers. I cant believe that big plastic cow tank cracked 2 times. That little bit of heat shouldn't bother them? Thanks

2. I use 50 to 100 gallon tanks galvanized and rubber both from L&M supply and have had no issues

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

What’s wrong with some rubber maid trash cans , u can put the wheel cart on to even move them around. Take a pretty wide buck not to fit in it .

4. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

Mine was working good for 2 months and then all of a sudden it got rusty and turned the water orange. I usually change the water once a week but it may have been closer to two weeks but I don't know why that would matter. I thought galvanized was un rustable?

5. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

I'm kind of gun shy now that I had 2 crack I was looking for something really thick. Not a bad idea though

6. ARUsher

ARUsher Well-Known Member

If you're gun shy about using the trash can, you could always use a 55-gallon poly drum. Walls are much thicker and can typically get used ones really inexpensive.

drwalleye likes this.
  7. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

Ya the first two I had were like cattle drinking tanks made out of thick plastic. The first one I saw dripping So I exchanged that one but the second one after a week or two was completely empty when I checked on it and the heater was still on but thank goodness the breaker snapped or I could have had a fire. Ya a bit gun shy LOL I bet that one was 1/4" thick I cant believe two of them cracked

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The ones I had were heavy duty Rubbermaid stock tanks. I had bought them at a local feed store/farm supply place. I have one that is empty now. If there is a number on the bottom I'll see if I can copy it.

9. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

That would be awesome Thanks

10. Sea Wolf

Seems to be this but the number on the bottom of mine is just 4247. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rubbermaid-structural-foam-stock-tanks-300-gal-capacity It might be slightly different as I have had these now for over 14 years and I thought they were 350 gallon tanks. The photos appear to be the same. Admittedly, water has never frozen in them but they, so far, have been sturdy as hell. A lot of things have been in and out of them and, when I had one that was not in use, I found other uses for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

Great Thank you. Do they also have the drain hole that I can attach my garden hose to when I change out the water? Do you think I have a reason to return my galvanized tank back to the store? I just cant believe it would rust like that

12. Sea Wolf

I have galvanized tubs for other uses and it is several years before I see them start to develop rust .... EXCEPT if you use ammonia. Strong Ammonia seems to destroy the zinc coating on the metal even though it indicates that it is ok on this site. You can attach a garden hose to it but you will have to make an adapter from PVC threaded parts. The drain plug thread is larger than a garden hose. You could find the proper male threaded part and attach a larger hose with a clamp as well.

drwalleye likes this.
  13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I doubt they would take it back. Galvanized water troughs normally begin to rust almost immediately. I've replace dozens of then used as watering troughs for cattle. Their advantage is that cattle don't destroy them as quickly by crowding into them as plastic troughs. The only permanent water trough for cattle is concrete or old steam boilers cut in half!

drwalleye likes this.