1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Already Dried Crustaceans: Can They Be Rehydrated?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by kstaplet, Sep 15, 2021.

1. kstaplet

kstaplet New Member

Hello,

I have a few dried crabs, a slipper lobster, and a couple of mantis shrimp that were dried but not processed at all.

I'm not sure I want to paint them but I would like to pose and seal them, at least. All of the information I've found online about crustacean taxidermy assumes that you got the specimen alive/freshly killed, so I'm really not sure what to do.

1. Most importantly, is it possible or advisable to rehydrate them?

2. If so, how? Denatured alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, formalin, peroxide? Or should they be rehydrated like you would an insect?

3. Once rehydrated, should I open them up to get rid of whatever meat/guts are left?

4. These are all pretty small (between 50-150 cm). Is there a foam that wouldn't explode them or should I skip filling them?

I really appreciate any responses! :)

2. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Dissolve pure borax in hot water, not boiling. Then put your specimen in and soak until it starts to loosen up. Repeat this process as the meat is cooked and the shell re hydrates. It should turn orange when it is done. You can then clean out the cooked meat and pose.