1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mold On White Tail Mounts

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Branden, Sep 20, 2021.

  1. Branden

    Branden Member

    Unfortunately my shop took a hit for the hurricane. 5-1/2 ft of water so some mounts got wet an water was in shop for 12 days so mold grew. Question is can I just spray a mold killer and wash them with dawn rinse and let dry or if somebody has any input on what can be done to try and save them. Thanks branden
  2. Mike Powell

    Mike Powell Well-Known Member

    I would definitely clean them, use a mold/mildew cleaner, Lysol, etc and then treat them as you would a re-hydrated cape. I.E. card and pin skin in place to prevent drumming, and check eyes, nose, ear, several times a day as it dries to make sure nothing pulls out of place. On mounts where any epoxy work was done, once dry, that work will likely have to be re-done. Good luck!

  3. 3bears

    3bears Well-Known Member

    You can wash them with dawn or laundry soap or any other mild soap or shampoo. Rinse well and do as Mike said, card anyplace that you feel is needed and get em dried out ASAP, fan on low, dehumidifier or both.