1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hide Paste On Skin Mounts

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 1tahr, Sep 21, 2021.

1. hi I used to work for a taxidermist who did not use any hide paste on his skin mounts , i saw no problems occur we kept a close eye on them while drying and and bubbles or wrinkles we simply smoothed out , is anybody out there not using hide paste and what are the advantages or disadvantages I have heard some people also seal there forms before mounting why is this thanks.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I use either a cheap acrylic caulk or pro ! hide paste on my fish skin mounts depending on what it is. Advantages, I can easily adjust skin on form and I don't have to babysit them much. I remove heads and some fins, I need less pins to hold the edges down Disadvantage, can't think of any. If I carve the form out of pink foam and it will show through I paint it white first but that is it.

3. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I use a hide paste on my skin mounts. With thin skins like trout and salmon, I find that it sticks the skin in place for me and it is easy to taxi the skin on the carved body to move the skin where I want it. I use the McKenzie Hide Paste with Mount Medic because that's what I use on all my small mammals and I tried it on my fish and loved it! It dries in about 24-48 hours so it gives you time to work and when it dries, its like epoxy. I had some ooze out from a seam and land on my laminate counter top - had to se a blade to scrape it off!
    MPSTQ.jpg

4. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Pro 1 is all I’ll use. Have tried others and not as nice. I once mounted a fish without paste. Skin shifted bad

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Pros of hide paste is a lot. I’ve been using a new paste called Klie and finding very superior in its
    1 holding power
    2 no drumming
    3 no skin lifting from artificial fins
    4 easy to manage skin sliding on forms
    Disadvantage
    Drumming
    Splitting
    Skin shifting all over from drying
    Seeing finished skin, dried painted and glossed go pop! Cause it drummed later on in client house. to many reasons not to use any hide paste. Do things right and hopefully that’ll keep all issues to a minimum. Use any hide paste you like as I’ve used many different from clear acrylic caulking to our taxidermy glue made for fish.

socalmountainman likes this.
  6. Thanks guys hide paste it is , couldnt imagine anything worse than a mount cracking or splitting open . ill post a pic of next fish thanks again , ps still got plenty questions

3bears likes this.
  7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I do not use hide paste. I've tried it and seen no particular advantage. When I skin mount fish on a mannikin, they go into a low humidity aerated drying room. They are locked down the next day. If there is a problem, which is rare, I can always rehydrate them. There is no way to use hide paste on a half cast using fish filler. All my panfish are done using the half cast system.

15pt and Clew like this.
  8. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I only use hide paste on salt waters and on trout
    But thinned down on trout