1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fiberglass Mold With Foam Cast

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Vals Taxidermy, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Hey guys, does anyone know if there's a good instructional video that shows the whole process of making a fiberglass mold of a sculpt and then casting with foam?

I've been following an article in a breakthrough mag and some short youtube videos but there are some parts that are vague. I specifically need to know what is used as a mold release on the fiberglass mold so that the foam doesn't stick to it. The article mentioned wax. But is there a specific kind?.. How is it applied?.. etc. I managed to make a useable mold but am having trouble getting the foam to come out clean. For this I used liquid car wax and brushed it all in the mold and flanges, let it dry for a few hours, then sprayed 3 coats of PVA with an airbrush and my foam still didn't come out smooth. Maybe I just didn't do it thick enough? Just wondering what do these supply companies use in their molds to get the forms to come out so nice and perfect? I want to get this right before I try it on something more complex. Thanks! cast 1.jpg cast 2.jpg

2. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

When I worked in a fiberglass factory we used paste wax, 2-3 coats make sure you let I dry between coats , lightly buff

3. Ok cool, thank you!

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Johnson paste wax works well

Clew and Vals Taxidermy like this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Back issues of Taxidermy today have sections that were on molding and casting.

Vals Taxidermy likes this.
  6. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Val, as mentioned above, bowling ally wax and butchers wax are the best for foam and fiberglass casting. Forget the PVA, as it is not needed at all. Prep your mold with multiple coats of the wax mentioned above. Make sure your foam is enough to form the hard skin needed to pull without lifting from the cast.

7. Perfect, thank you! I just applied 3 coats of wax and that worked really well