1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtann- Is This “done”?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Kate Lacour, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Kate Lacour

Kate Lacour Member

First time using krowtann instead of a brush-on. Baby goats have been submerged 4 days (plenty according to the directions). They look white and stretchy to my eyes, but not significantly more so than when they went in (thoroughly fleshed).

I realize the chemistry for krowtann is different, and not a “true” tan, so I’d love a second opinion as to whether I’m good to pull these out and neutralize.

Honestly, wish this was like baking and I could give em the never-fail toothpick test.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    msestak likes this.
  2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I think you are good to go.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I might ask this before I would say yes to the tan.
    Personally I still see membrane left on and looks like it was never degreased?
    If this is true ( only going by your pics) then I would shave it better, get a good degreaser, degrease it and back in the tan for whatever that tan may call for.
    No tan can take properly with fat and grease still in its pores. Even degreasing after a tan does nothing but remove some fat and oils that are on the surface not in the pores. In order for any tans to properly tan , it must first be degreased properly.
    This happens a lot with bears where they are grease burn and in reality almost if not definitely you can’t get the grease out will disintegrate in those areas in time. This doesn’t usually happen on mounts but does happen on wall hangers as I’ve seen this happen many times with skins done by even the best tanneries. Care starts at the person who dispatched the animal and carries on from there.