1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting Over Epoxy

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 1tahr, Sep 25, 2021.

1. hi Guys , any tips to painting over epoxy to help it blend better i dont like the shiny look im getting on my touched up areas, i have recreated scale detail thanks

2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    What epoxy are you using
    And do you texture

4. Hi Clew , the product ive used is smooth on free form sculpt , yes i textured with a damp towel . very shiney compared to natural skin

5. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

Use a flat sealer on the whole fish and let cure before painting. I use clear or white sealer usually. This will help get the same texture over the painting surface.

Clew, joeym and Mudbat like this.
  6. jimss

jimss Active Member

I always start off with several super light flash coats of flat white on blanks and apoxie-sculpt. It's similar to using primer on metal, raw wood, etc.

7. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I let mine set for about 45 min
    Then depending on type of fish
    Example a trigger fish has sandpaper like skin
    I match sandpaper grit and texture with that
    Just depends on species
    Then do like Frank said

8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

A few ways that’ll end that shine.
    Mix some dry pigment powder with your epoxy
    Paint the epoxy a dark color then lay some metallic powder or paint on it dark and then go to light colors.
    The use of charcoal pencils will also help cover up that shine.
    I’ve always learn to paint the epoxy to the color of your dried fish skin. From there you can paint the fish as you would normally.
    I’ve been fortunate through the years of never having that issue but I’ve seen through the yrs of judging fish etc seeing this issue with many taxidermists new and old in this profession.
    Try any of all the steps you’ve been given here and see what works best for you.

Clew likes this.
  9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Mix paint up to match the surrounding colors and take a chunk of towel and dab the paint onto the repair and blend out . It really isn't that difficult. I believe the problem many have is they try to paint the repair solid, no skin mount I've ever done dried with solid color.

10. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Myself I paint over all spicy work with automotive sand able primer filler. They sand to make it blend as good as possible then hit it again with it to check then prime the whole fish in flat duplicolor either white or black depending on what species