1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Over Painting Skin Mounts ?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 1tahr, Sep 28, 2021.

1. hi Guys, I was looking at a rainbow id just painted and decided it was over painted , on replicas ive been mucking around with i can still see the antiquing under the colours and it looks more natural than my skin mounts , so if a skin mount fish is in good condition and dosnt need whited out how much colour should i be applying and how much of the original skin if any should show thru, if this makes sense trying to avoid that over painted look . thanks

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I never white out any skin mount. I will darken them where needed apply metallic and start painting to what’s needed.
    Some folks paint light some heavier in layers it’s your fish make it look as good as you can with any method you choose

Mudbat likes this.

3. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I personally paint them both exactly the same primer and all. There shouldnt be any difference in the out come if your doing them the exact same.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  4. its certainly a steep learning curve , can i colour skin mounts with water colour pencils and use antiquing process , I like the fact with a replica i can scub it all off and start again , ive been a bit worried about stripping a skin mounts paint off , what is the correct process to do this without damaging the scales thanks

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I use lacquer and end up wiping some fish down with thinner on a rag, when I don't like where I ended up that is. I then reseal and start over, sometimes the beauty of it is, I get more depth because I don't remove all of the original paint.

Clew likes this.
  6. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Ive stripped skinmounts bear in the past with zero issue. I also lock down all my skinmounts with sand able wood sealer. Helps a lot on fish that pop scales such as salmon. Other then when stripping someone else’s ive never run into a issue of lacquer thinner eating foam.
    Can do 99.9% of the exact same things you do with a replica as with a skinmount.

7. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

You wouldn’t! By the way Frank, I started painting my sliver fish black….. and I actually like it! Hahahah I caved!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ahh another nonbeliever turned to the dark side lol

Mudbat likes this.
  9. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    upload_2021-9-29_14-24-1.jpeg

Like this African pompano

10. Clew