1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Grease In Antlers

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Down South Taxidermy and Oddities, Sep 30, 2021.

1. I’m having a very hard time removing some grease spots out of some whitetail antlers. The skull slipped just a little too far down into the degreasing tank at one point. I’m currently degreasing with ammonia and water at 120 degrees. Can I submerge the antlers in this solution? Any tips on how to get the grease out of the antlers? They are a bit sun bleached. This one has me stumped. Help!!!

2. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

Do you have any pictures. Submerging the antlers into ammonia will not hurt them, you might get a little discoloration, but that can easily be touched up. Do you also use dawn or other degreaser?

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

You can submerge them completely with no issues. I also use the stronger 10% ammonia from the hardware stores.

4. Y
    es

yes I use Dawn as well. I’ll have to get a pic tomorrow. The customer doesn’t want anything at all done to the antlers unfortunately so I’m at a total loss as to what to do.