1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Purpose Of Change Out Heads?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by akhenenra, Oct 1, 2021.

1. akhenenra

akhenenra Member

Could someone please tell me what the purpose of a change out head is? I assumed it was because the replacement head had a lot more detail sculpted in, but from photos the ones for sale in catalogs don't look to be much different from what comes on the form....

2. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

For me, I usually use them for different size heads. I can alter for size, but sometimes it's more economical to just purchase a change out than spend the time re-sizing a head. I do this for a living, so time is money.

And some heads are also just better by different sculptors. A few fractions of an inch here and there can make a huge difference for fit and look.

George and akhenenra like this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Deer necks will vary from season to season and also including farm raised deer you may get a neck size way smaller than the nose to eye measurements. I’ve seen 160” plus deer have necks ( late summer) the size of 18” and the nose to eye is
    8 1/2”or bigger. Well it’s hard to find that so getting a change out is easier to cut of and install that head instead of trying to shave down the neck etc. The same or the opposite.

Keith and akhenenra like this.
  4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

They are also great for backpack mounts

ARUsher, George and akhenenra like this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you like a particular sculptured neck and body , be it for position or aesthetics, but no not like the head, purchasing a change out head that you like makes sense. It saves having to do a more involved alteration.

akhenenra likes this.
  6. akhenenra

akhenenra Member

Ahhhh ok. That makes much more sense. Thank you everyone

7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I’ve gotten a few foxes, for example, whose hide fit the body of a form but the head did not. As Keith said, it is much easier and faster to use a change out head than to try to alter one, at least for me.

akhenenra likes this.
  8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

And to add if your client want an open mouth or Fleming nose and you don’t know how or don’t want to alter original head .

akhenenra likes this.