1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bruce Rittel's Obituary

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Oct 2, 2021.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Thanks for sharing.

Johnnyclyde and msestak like this.

3. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

It’s a shame they misspelled Bruce’s name.

I think you are right George.

In 1978 I bought a Trapline Tanning Kit at the JC Penney’s in Anchorage, and tanned a small caribou hide in my dorm room on Elmendorf AFB.

My first exposure to anything to do with taxidermy. It worked great and my Dad still has the skin. Very positive experience.

It’s a sad day.

4. Another one, sad day for taxidermy.

Johnnyclyde likes this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

George that is so true as what he taught me was better than any school could have.
    He showed me the ins and outs about his tanning formula plus so much other knowledge.
    We became pretty good friends and had a lot of good times together. He was an amazing man!!

Johnnyclyde likes this.
  6. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this George. Bruce was a pillar of this business. RIP friend!

7. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

I started Taxidermy 40 years ago. My 2nd deer head I did was skinned fleshed by hand with a pocket knife, every thing split and turned. Did not salt the cape, did nothing but whipped on RITTLES CREME tan, rolled up in fridge, mounted next day. The deer hung in my shop for near 40 years, nice thin ears and looked ok. Of course over the years detail was much improved. The head fell off the wall while moving it, ears broke. I remounted it and the cape was fine, leather hard no bugs. I have always been amazed in the appearance in the cape/leather after 40 years. I can thank Bruce for a fine product, may he rest in piece.

8. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

No doubt Bruce knew his business and was a veteran. Most vets I know do a full days work and do things right.

9. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I appreciated that he would respond to questions even not related to his products.

10. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Bruce Rittel helped in fine tuning my ability to tan hides, with updated and detailed articles through Breakthrough Magazine. Another great guy ... my condolences to his family and friends. Rest in Peace, Bruce ...

11. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

Damm,, Our herd thins.. RIP Bruce and thank you for all you did for our industry...

12. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Been off here for a while, God speed Bruce.

How many taxidermist have we lost over the last 2 years