1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pack Mount Question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by drob, Oct 9, 2021.

1. drob

drob Active Member

I have a customer that wants to do a pack mount and I'm not sure how to have the hide tanned.I will have the entire hide tanned including the tail,but should I have it wet tanned or soft tanned as for a wall hanging? Thanks in advance !

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Cut the head off a couple of inches below the white throat patch and mount it by whatever means suits you on a change out head. Ship the skin out and have it soft tanned. I do several of these annually. Moyle will do the skin cheaper than anyone else, and you will get it back sooner if you fill out an internet invoice and pre-pay for it.

drob likes this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Sorry I disagree with Joey, I have whole hide minus legs dry soft tanned then just soak head down and mount it on a replacement head . I don’t want that pieced together look , I’ll even ask if they want the legs on it , I’ll leave them and charge for a L/S tan if they do , I don’t split the neck or anything like that , I do it just as I would if we went on a back woods hunt and it was going to be mounted . That’s just me not saying how Joey does it is wrong , that’s his way and it works for him. I just like the way I do it .

joeym and drob like this.
  4. drob

drob Active Member

Thankyou!

5. drob

drob Active Member

Thankyou!

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Y'all know I'm gonna DP the head! It's mounted and hanging on the wall when the skin returns. All I have to do at that point is build the frame and assemble the mount.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would be more inclined to do it the 13 point way.