1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail Hair Sticking Up

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Brianjax, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Brianjax

Brianjax Member

Hi everyone, I mounted a whitetail shoulder mount and there is a small patch of hair about a half inch in diameter on the side of his face around 2” under the antler burr that sticks up and I can’t get it to set down.
    Any suggestions on how to get it to comb down?
    Thank You

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

If it is curled hair (there have been several possible causes for this discussed here on this site over the years), try applying any cheap hair conditioner (like you use after shampooing). Put enough on to lay the hair down. Repeat if necessary. The conditioner will often soften the hair enough to get it to lay down.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you are using water based hide paste, you can use it as a hair gel. Apply it sparingly and let it dry. After the mount is totally dry, the hide paste will just bush out. I have used this method many times with Roman's 555 and Pro-one with no problems and no hair sticking up.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If you have a clothes steamer, that's the start. Once it's steamed, smear a dollop of potter's clay over the hair and let dry. When the clay dries, brush it out and you'll be set.

Glenn M and joeym like this.
  5. Brianjax

Brianjax Member

Thanks everyone for your help, I appreciate it!

6. Lee Lackey

Lee Lackey New Member

I wipe a little Vaseline over the hair sticking up, but only if I miss wiping clay on it during mounting.

7. Rob43

Rob43 Member

I use hair gel, then staple sanding screen over it to hold it down. Air can still get through the screen, so it can dry easily. After it dries, just pull the screen off.

8. webster

webster Well-Known Member

Brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya!! :):):)