1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Screwed Up Need Some Help

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Elkarcher, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Elkarcher

Elkarcher Member

Alaska
    So I had to cut the antlers off a caribou due to the fact they were in velvet and we all know what beetles do to velvet. But I went a little to far with the saw. How the heck do I fix the cut into the skull???. Apoxy is the only thing I can think of. Any assistance would be great. Thanks Tim

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

If you have another skull or bone , grind or cut into a dust pile mix it with Elmer glue to a paste and fill in .

Tnrandy likes this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Depending on how bad , agreed with the above or mix some epoxy with dry pigments, apply and then mix up some paint to match bone color and paint the area to blend in.

4. Elkarcher

Elkarcher Member

Alaska
    Thanks guys, I did attach a pic but it evidently didn't load. Now I just gotta get another skull done and use the lower jaw

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you want to be really anal about it, take some rubber mold making compound and spread it over an undamaged part of the skull. The skull surface actually has texture and this is what you want. Let it set up and peel off. Fill in your cut with Apoxy and then use the rubber mold, pressing down lightly over the surface of it, to add that texture back to the smooth surface of the apoxy. You can even reproduce suture lines this way.

joeym likes this.
  6. Elkarcher

Elkarcher Member

Alaska
    Thanks sea wolf, would have never thought of doing that. This is the 1st and last year I strip velvet or cut off antlers. That's getting further into the taxidermy side of things for me.