1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rehydrate??

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by hoytarcher, Oct 14, 2021.

1. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    I had a guy drop off some fur to be tanned. I pulled them from the pickle, neutralized them and then left them to hang over night. Me, being the genius that I am NOT, had a fan in the shop that was very gently blowing on them. This morning I checked them to see if they were dry enough to put my tanning oil on and the one side is dry and hard with the other side still being damp. Can I rehydrate the dry side so I they can evenly dry or am I screwed?

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

It’s 50/50 , shoulda just put them back in the pickle till pliable again

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Indeed I concur once that person neutralized the cape it’s considered raw and maybe a bit picked depending on how long the person neutralized it. I would put it into a salt brine and see how well it hydrates . After that I would go back to pickling it again to be on the safe side. Then back to neutralize , and then apply your rub on tan.
    The fun part on reading tanning oil can throw off those of us who do soak tans cause a tanning oil is something we use after we tan a cape. Damm manufacturers calling rub on tans tanning oils lol!