1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Citric Acid Ph

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Randy4536, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Randy4536

Randy4536 New Member

Started using citric acid, 3oz per gallon . initial ph was around 1.5, but once skin added jumped to 2 ph by the end of the day. added probably another 6 oz of citric but didnt do much . So I have 6 gal and 24 oz of citric. Added 1.5 oz of safety just to get it down and it is stable at 1.5 now . With safety I usually run around 1floz to 1 gal of water and never have to add and stays at 1.5.
    Does citric run a tad higher around 2 ? is that safe pickle ph? would like to switch to citric going further for safety reasons and natural degreaser to aid in the pickle . But just concerned with the ph and is citric susceptible to ph movement more then safety.

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I use 3 oz per gallon and never check the pH.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Any pickle should run from 2.5 to lower. Adding the capes to your mix will naturally raise the pH . I make adjustments the next morning or before I close up my shop. Citric can stay at 1.5 when it stabilizes with your skins. This happens with all pickles !

4. gobbler71

gobbler71 Member

X2 What Frank said! They all move around whatever you use. That's why you should monitor daily. Even your water can be different than the next guy.

3bears likes this.
  5. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I always seem the need to adjust the pH the next day. So I keep checking the first few days. After that it's pretty stable.

6. Randy4536

Randy4536 New Member

Sounds good thanks for the replies, With citric do you run seperate degreaser in your pickles aswell with deer capes? Or is citric enough with natural degreaser that it is sufficient ?

7. isledecoco

isledecoco New Member

I can't get my ph lower than 2.7 using citric acid and putting in more doesn't seem to lower it. I've already used another 8oz more in my 2 gallon mixture, compared to the standard recipe 3oz citric acid per gallon H20 + 1 pound of salt recipe and I can't seem to get it lower. I am using a ph meter calibrated to 7 using a ph7 solution so it should be accurate. Our water is 5.5. I don't have any other acid around besides vinegar. Will this work? Any advise is appreciated.

8. isledecoco

isledecoco New Member

I just tested distilled white vinegar and the ph meter read 4. So maybe my meter is off, since straight white vinegar should be somewhere around 2.5. I guess I will see the end result in a few days. Maybe I'll go and pick up some ph test strips in the meantime.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    what are you pickling in 2 gallons? Even with squirrel size critters I mix up 5 gallons.

10. Frank E. Kotula

I still do a separate degreasing as that’s not enough to get especially bears degreased.

11. Frank E. Kotula

Indeed the meter is off . I rather strips any day over a meter. Jmc

Keith likes this.
  12. Randy4536

Randy4536 New Member

So been using citric quite a bit and seems to work pretty good , stable at 2 seems to work if jumps up a little I just add some safety to bring it down a bit . I did notice that neutralizing a citric acid cape in tan bath requires quite a bit more feeds or heavier feeds of soda to netraulize in that 4.5 range then a safety cape . Citric a stronger acid or hide absorbs a little more even though running a little higher ph . if the hide absorbs deeper in the core of the hide is more attractive for the tan to penetrate ? I don’t really know just a question.