1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Machine Blade Wobble

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by zachb1994, Oct 15, 2021.

1. zachb1994

zachb1994 Active Member

I have a older rawhide fleshing machine. The blade was worn out so I bought a new blade. It hals a slight wobble to it. I have checked everything I can think of belt, bearings, pulleys. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Are you certain that there is nothing on either pulley? One little scrap of flesh stuck in a pulley can wreck havoc with blade stability

livbucks likes this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Your blade could be warped or needs yo be tuned
    It’s not the first time I’ve seen new blades do this. What happens is they sharpened it to fast and heated up the blade.
    Personally if my tannery didn’t do my blades anymore ( as they explained this to me ) I would only deal with DH. Price and his tannery blades . They are way different with small lips and I can usually get 200-300 capes from one blade. JMO

Tanit1, D.Price, ARUsher and 2 others like this.
  4. zachb1994

zachb1994 Active Member

The old blade had a wobble also so I’m believing it’s something to do with the machine. But who knows like you said both blades may be warped. I will check into the pullys again also. Thank you both!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  5. zachb1994

zachb1994 Active Member

I will check. How tight should the belt be? Thanks!

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

A good rule of thumb on tightening a v belt is that you should be able to twist it a quarter turn halfway between the motor pulley and the blade pulley. It’s better a little loose than too tight.

livbucks likes this.
  7. zachb1994

zachb1994 Active Member

I
    I appreciate it!

8. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I pop the belt off, turn the motor on and run a flat screwdriver in the motor pulley to clean it out. You wouldnt believe the crap that comes out. My blade was jumping and once the pulley was clean it ran true. Be warned. The screwdriver could be ripped out of your hand a few times.

ARUsher likes this.