1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Attaching Threaded Leg Rods To Bodies For Large Birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by OHDave, Oct 16, 2021.

1. OHDave

OHDave Member

Does anyone know if there is still a product out there used to attach threaded leg rods into foam bodies? I used a couple of these some years ago when mounting up a heron and they worked quite well. They had tapered large, coarse-threaded screws at one end (to screw into the body) and a tapped female end to accept the threaded rod. Are these still available anywhere or is there a similar alternative? Thanks.

2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I would think a threaded insert is what you are looking for??

Google <----click

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I’m gonna chime in and recommend you use #6 wires rather than threaded rods. I had a threaded rod snap once in final leg adjustment after mounting a turkey. I had the privilege of remounting that bird the same day…. Not fun.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I too, had the same thing happen to me as what happened to joeym. So, the next time around, I went to a # 6 wire. I bought a tap and die set so that I could cut threads into the ends so I could bolt it down to the base with washers and nuts.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I bend a “J” on one end, drill a 1 1/4” hole in the manikin with a paddle blade, and bondo the wire in the manikin. I leave the foot end straight, and lock the leg wires into the base by inserting 1 or 2 drywall screws alongside the wire from the bottom of the base after mounting.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  6. OHDave

OHDave Member

Thanks guys!

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Did the screw just screw into the form like those drywall anchor they sell? Did it have a "set screw" you tighten down the rod. If this is what you are talking about, VanDykes sell this in the wire or bird section called foam screws.