1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gel Or Liquid Hydrogen Peroxide?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Vulpes Vulpes, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Vulpes Vulpes

Vulpes Vulpes Active Member

I’ve whitened many skulls and skeletons with 40 vol hydrogen peroxide liquid. Works great.

I read online that the gel keeps its strength longer. The thick consistency probably makes it less wasteful when whitening a skull too. 40 vol gel is half the price of liquid. Should I go with the gel? 5889115B-680B-4EA5-A072-F5FEE5E35B91.jpeg

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I like liquids because the skull can be immersed to whiten inside and out.

3. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

I use the cream. I mix with a little bbw powder and paint it on.

4. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

I've used both, the liquid is a little cleaner and easier to whiten the inside as well as outside. When I use the gel I mix with basic white and paint it on.

Vulpes Vulpes likes this.
  5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The powder used to make the paste is Magnesium carbonate. It’s a lot cheaper from taxidermy suppliers than purchasing it from beauty supply stores.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Recommend you do not use the gel/cream. It is essentially peroxide mayonnaise. What makes it thick is that oil has been beaten into it to thicken it. Oil is great for hair you are trying not to ruin. Not good for skulls you worked hard to get the oil out of. I buy a few gallons of 40 VOL peroxide if it is on sale or the stronger pool type (which should be on sale now as it is the end of pool season) and keep it in a closed 5 gallon bucket. I submerge and soak all skulls I can and that amount can last all year and many skulls through it. I don't paste anything as it seems more wasteful. I can even do an adult horse in a 5 gal bucket. Stuff like buffalo and cattle will go into the bottom of a Rubbermaid trash can and be submerged that way. If you need to paste something, use the liquid, not the cream. The trick with that is to wrap it with plastic wrap after to keep it from drying out too fast.

7. Vulpes Vulpes

Thank you! Where do you buy pool-strength hydrogen peroxide? I can never seem to find any online.
    Edit: I found food grade (35%) hydrogen peroxide here for $60/gallon. https://purechemco.com/products/35-h2o2-hydrogen-peroxide?variant=40356468261062 This will do the trick

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  8. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

9. Sea Wolf

That is a lot of $$$$ for that. I buy pool grade for around $11 a gallon. Look in the phone book and find places that sell pool and spa supplies. I have even found it in Walmart when they have pool stuff stocked. It is also known as pool shock for "Non Chlorinated Pools". Names are Baquacil, Pool Mate, SoftSwim and others. Ask for it and see if they have it to sell. Check the ingredients and it should be pretty much straight peroxide. Recommend you do not state you are using it to whiten bone. I have read more than once that a shop refused to sell it to someone because they said what they were going to use it for and they thought the person weird and declined to sell it to them. Just say it is for a Spa/Pool with no chlorine in it. Big box stores sometimes have it in with the pool supplies but most of those are all put away now. I stock up in the spring when it shows up. Just make sure it is the right pool shock. Do NOT get the chlorine one by mistake.

10. Elkarcher

Elkarcher Member

I use both, liquid and the BW2 powder. You can't submerge a bull moose so I use the powder mixed with 34% peroxide and then wrap it in a plastic garbage bag for atleast 3 days. For the smaller skulls I will submerge the skulls up to the bottom of the antlers and then use a paper towel for the top of the skull and spray peroxide on the paper towel. 24 hrs is plenty of time for a full grown animal skull. Smaller skulls require less time.

34% peroxide is not cheap but it works. I cant get the bacquacil here in fairbanks so the peroxide is the way to go.

You can get the BW2 on Amazon for bout $40 for 32 oz. Cheapest I have seen. Hope this helps.

Tim

11. Vulpes Vulpes

Thank you all. I used 12% liquid H2O2 and then more H2O2 with whitening powder to get the final result. Glued teeth back in with Elmer's glue and used some scrap white oak to make a euro plaque.

Attached Files:

12. Sea Wolf

Maggots are disgusting but it came out very nice. :)