1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

400 And Less For Deer Shoulder Mounts

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by James Marsico, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

What year was this?

msestak likes this.
  2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

"""Me and my son are getting ready to start up in January. Our plan is to look at prices of folks in the area and be about the same."""

Good luck with that.
    :) taxiadvice-1.jpg

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

i charge $525 for shoulder mounts without a panel. A deposit of $250 is required before I mount the deer. Most pay immediately, others take a while. Once mounted, most come quickly, others take a while, especially out of state hunters who return in the fall to plant green patches.

msestak likes this.
  4. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Our deer numbers are running average so far this year. The gun season starts tomorrow, but it won't be for another month of deer coming in if we can judge if the price increase will affect our numbers.

msestak likes this.
  5. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

the economy !
    if folks are forced with feeding a family, paying for insurance or getting a deer head verses a euro mount...the euro mount wins.
    thats all.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

This is not a good business plan. You should take many classes in business before you accept money for your work. Then you should use that business knowledge to come up with your own prices to accommodate your circumstances. I would never allow other businesses to dictate my pricing.

Having said that, after doing all that, you could look at the prices of others and if you are "too low", you might want to adjust up or if you are "too high", you will have to make the decision to stand firm or sacrifice what you need to make a living.

Staring a business without multiple business classes is putting the cart before the horse.

Richard C, msestak and Mudbat like this.
  7. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I’d say right now is a bad time to try and get into the taxidermy industry. Supply costs are high, very unstable, and definitely not trending down.

Richard C and msestak like this.
  8. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

There are poor everywhere, no matter the economy. As a businessman you select your product or niche market to support your business. I have a very select clientele that doesn't worry about feeding the family. That's all I'm saying. And your focus shouldn't be on those that can not but on those that can. People continue to buy real estate, new cars, boats, and continue their vacations. Focus on those. The glass is half full my friend. :)

Terry Bennett, Richard C and msestak like this.
  9. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

A vast majority of the top earners in this country don’t even hunt. I’d say here in Michigan the average for a white tail shoulder in in the 650-750 range. In this economy the working class are getting hit hard( the normal people who are getting taxidermy done). People who were in the have category are now in the have nots category. My own example. 1.5 years ago it cost me 200 a month in fuel to get to work. Now it costs me 448 per month. Wages aren’t keeping up with that so cuts else where have to be made. Even as a taxidermist what used to be a good profit is now getting large bites taken out of due to higher supply prices and shipping costs.

rogerswildlife, Lance.G and Clew like this.
  10. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I’m at 675 and the guy down the road is 475
    He is two and a half years behind
    I stay steady with 9 month turn around,
    I’m planning on on.y fish and ducks next year

11. This is the statement from the industry I have been looking for! Thanks for that information. I have a business degree, work for a big pharma manufacturer and farm. I have never owned my own business except for the farm and that is a different animal all together.

Doing the math I am coming up a little lower than the other guys in my area, my point was I wanted to be more in line to the standards for my area I guess so I didn't be too cheap. There is a local fella that is still at 450 when everyone else in the area is 6 to 7 hundred.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  12. Thanks for that information on the deposits. That way you can over materials cost to order forms and such.

13. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

yep, get the cost to mount it up front !

Mudbat and Clew like this.
  14. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Only problem is that cost could go up substantial for supplies, next week, next month, etc. right now you can lock yourself into a price and be good. Or you can lock yourself into a price and be totally screwed

Clew, Richard C and msestak like this.
  15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I did my business plan, I,too, came up a little low compared to others in my area. So, I adjusted my business plan so that I was near the top. I was always way too busy no matter how much I raised my prices after that.

16. Richard C

You are correct, costs WILL go up multiple times. Clew has competition that is at 2 1/2 year delivery. He is doing work 2 1/2 years out at this years supply and overhead costs if he ever figured all that into his prices in the first place , witch i doubt. When Clew gives up deer heads that guy will be at 4 year delivery. He is actually out of business just don't know it yet ! Someone is going to have to call him when the world ends to let him know as he will be in his taxidermy dungeon doing 2 1/2 years ago work for less than minimum wage and won't have a clue what's going on !

17. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Some things you have to order right when you take on the job instead of being able to wait and get enough orders to save on shipping from one place.
    Was going to get a blank from a certain supplier. Located the one I needed . 1 month later when I got ready to put the order in the price had gone up 3 dollars per inch. That was 120 dollars that was not factored in.

msestak likes this.
  18. Richard C

WOW, that was a big hit in the wallet.

msestak likes this.
  19. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

not if you order all your supplies now... I order 90 percent of the supplies (money wise) all in one big order a year, right after deer season. Of course I may get some lesser items throughout the year like bondo or glue/epoxie , pins etc but they represent a small portion of the annual expenditures and are almost always stuff I get from hardware or craft stores. I order all my forms the week after deer season. Any late stragglers I give the option of waiting til the next year or paying more. The exception is some years I get in on the research half priced life size summer sale, and if I was ordering enough LS forms to justify I throw a deer form or 2 in there.

I dont know who among you needs to hear this but IF YOU CAN GET IT FROM ANYWHERE THAT ISNT A TAXIDERMY SUPPLIER, DONT GET IT FROM A TAXIDERMY SUPPLIER

Mudbat likes this.
  20. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I only do fish. Wee bit of a difference in what I can and can’t bulk order.