1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtan Black Bear

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by dmac1175, Oct 19, 2021.

1. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I have done quite a bit of research with the search button on this site concerning tanning a black bear specifically using krowtan. I still have a few questions. From what I understand I should decrease the hide before putting into the tan but I'm not exactly sure how to degrease they hide. What exactly does that mean? Does anyone have any experience using krowtanan for black bear that they would be willing to list the steps of the process please?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I don’t but I’ll aid you here.
    Krowtan is both a pickle and a tan in one . So during the pickle process after it’s been in the solution for three days you’ll take it out , shave and then degrease it. Follow directions to the T and back in the krowtan. Again if it’s not properly degreased or shaved you’ll have to do the process again. Then raise your pH and tan it.
    It’s one reason why professionals tanneries and home tanners don’t use this product for bears. There are way better tans for bears. Remember this if it’s not properly degreased, time will only cause issues.

3. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Thank you. I may just salt it and send it to Wildlife Galleries.

4. Rob43

Rob43 Member

That's a good idea.

5. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

I did a small bear myself last year and it came out perfect but it was a ton of work. I used the standard pickle, shave, pickle, tan method. If it was much bigger it would have been too much work for just me. Send it off if you can.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.