1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finishing Work

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Brad Hendrickson, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Brad Hendrickson

Brad Hendrickson Active Member

Can i start on eye and nose work or do i need to wait until the WHOLE mount is dry?
    i know patience is virtue , but i’m anxious. :)

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

If it’s in a climate controlled area, give it 7-10 days, otherwise, give it 3-4 weeks. It’s not good for the skin to dry under areas wherever apoxy is used. It will lift and leave a gap.

Brad Hendrickson likes this.

3. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I have had it crack if I finished it before it was totally dry. I agree with Joey's timeframe.

4. Brad Hendrickson

THANK YOU!!!! great tips. I will error on the long side….

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I always waited for 4 weeks to do finish work.

tem and Brad Hendrickson like this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Years ago, a fellow taxidermist had a lawyer walk on his shop one Monday morning with a deer his kid killed. He said “I want this deer mounted and ready to pick up Saturday”. Taxi responded…”for a thousand bucks, I’m your huckleberry”. It happened! I’ve always wondered what the finish work on that deer looked like after a few months!

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Mike P had a method for quick drying. Was probably him!

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

If you used Apoxie Sculpt to do your eye work, skull cap and ear butts and also used a two part epoxy hide paste and mounted the skin slightly damp with the hair dried, you might be able to get away with finishing it after only one week dry time if it was in a climate control room like joey said.

9. Brad Hendrickson

nope i used critter clay

10. NMJagdHunter

NMJagdHunter Ted Wenner

I've only worked in NM and AZ but I can see how you could get that done for the lawyer. if you don't bag it to slow it drying it dries fast, really fast. I think my shop sits around 2% indoor humidity according to the weather terminal, unless we have good monsoon flow.

joeym likes this.
  11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

My humidity in Western Oregon is 30 to 60% in the summer and 60 to 100% in the winter. I do miss the "dry heat" of New Mexico.

12. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Yes NM Jag I agree. It’s so dry here in AZ that if left a coues sized shoulder mount unbagged will dry out in three days. There might be some moisture left in the center mass of ear butt clay but it is usually dry/hard enough to start finish work by day three or four.