1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Expensive Forms

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Rob43, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Rob43

Rob43 Member

I bought 2 Whitetail shoulder forms and 1 set of medium earliners from McKenzie. Total cost with shipping-$229.92! Outrageous, IMO.

drob likes this.
  2. drob

drob Active Member

Yep,just crazy.Tried going with Ohio Taxidermy Supply last year but seems that they are still sorting out some things.

livbucks likes this.

3. Rob43

Rob43 Member

Yea, They are currently working on getting their website squared away. They are about 35 miles from me. Once they get things in order, I'll probably just drive there and get my forms.

drob likes this.
  4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Do this as a hobby or living? It is the cost of doing business for those of us that do this for a living. I want to make money on everything I do so, why would McKenzie not? If in business, you have to try to predict supply price increases and shortages and plan accordingly by raising your prices ahead of suppliers and keeping some things in stock. If this is a hobby then it is liken to many other expensive hobbies.

Bill Dishman likes this.
  5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I wish taxidermy was my hobby...I'd drop it and go full time hunting Native American artifacts!

drob and 3bears like this.
  6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Try other suppliers and/or other shippers. McKenzie will ship it differently if you request it. They usually ask. McKenzie works great for me "IF" they have whatever it is I am ordering in their Texas warehouse. If they don't have it at the Texas location, I'll generally change the order.

7. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

McKenzie will truck ship between their facilities. We have them truck items, (if we aren't in a hurry), from NC. to WI, then our preferred Spee-dee delivery from their WI location to the shop in MN. It does take about an extra week.

3bears likes this.
  8. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Soon the price wont be the biggest issue.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    yep, me to I do the same.

10. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

That’s for sure!!!

11. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I don't mind the increase. I do have a problem waiting 3 weeks for a single manikin. Customer service sucks at some place's. Half of the restaurants don't have some of the stuff people come in to get.

12. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Active Member

Supply chains everywhere are causing issues for every business and material costs is going through the roof and lack of skilled help across the board it's a mess. No reason to be upset or blame a supply company simply raise your prices accordingly. I just went from $525 to $595 for deer shoulder mounts. If I'm not making money I've decided I just not going to do the work. Yes I understand the difference between making a living and a hobby with taxidermy. But either way you need to get paid for your skills and more importantly your time.

Rob43, tem, Keith and 2 others like this.
  13. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

Joey you get cooler and cooler all the time. If you are ever up in KY and want to spend some time well wasted I can take you to some good gravel bars, tobacco fields, creekbanks and draws..

In regards to the OP, that's why I dont buy from Big Mac unless I cant get it anywhere else (my forms almost always come from research or James supply) and I order forms no more than 2 times per year

drob and joeym like this.
  14. Rob43

Rob43 Member

It's been a hobby of mine for 30 years. Can't make a descent living here in Ohio on taxidermy alone. Most taxidermists around here, and alot of other places, that claim to be " Full Time". have a wife that's the main bread winner and carries the insurance, taxidermy is just supplemental to her income. Anyhow, I find it surprising that 2 shoulder forms cost $40+ dollars to ship. I just ordered a 50# bag of Sodium Bicarbonate and it only cost $27 dollars to ship. I believe they make alot of their money from shipping, just my 2 cents. Anyhow, I've raised my prices $50. to make up for it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    Glenn M and drob like this.
  15. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    No doubt they make money on shipping. I understand what is like to feel like they are picking on the small guy, you. I was once in that spot. Either I just got used to it or realized that my customers pay for it not me. It is figured in to my price. I also try to only order when I have a big order, the discounts they offer for doing so, typically covers the shipping charges. Carriers have been rising the heck out of their fees as well and that don't help.

16. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Boxed mannikin's get hit with the additional "dimensional" weight charges.

3bears likes this.
  17. Rob43

Rob43 Member

They came in the almost identical sized boxes

18. Rob43

Rob43 Member

Well, I'll just do the same, pass it on to customers. I don't have to do taxidermy at all, just do it for enjoyment, and it pays for my hunting toys.

3bears likes this.
  19. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Were they both from the same supplier?

20. drob

drob Active Member

What type of drinks do they serve at those gravel bars? ( just kidding)

Clovis Point likes this.