1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Is Going On

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by hoytarcher, Oct 28, 2021.

1. hoytarcher

hoytarcher Member

Iowa
    I have 2 coyotes and 3 coons that when I put them in salt water, they have not rehydrated. They have been in there for 36hrs and the skin is still tough. I am worried if I keep them in there any longer there is going to be hair slippage. What am I doing wrong?

These were skinned, fleshed then boarded by the trapper. The other hides that were with them all hydrated, just these are not.

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    All the hides in at the same time? Were these hides together at the bottom or top of the other hides?To much salt can cause issues

3. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Probably grease burn. Try a de-greaser in a pickle, That way you wont have to worry so much about slipage

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Air dried skins are a pain sometimes to hydrate. Products like enzol B aids in hydration of dried skins like this plus helps with the grease issues.
    A salt brine hydration like your doing can hold capes safely 48 hrs. If you still haven’t gotten them hydrated, place in a pickle and your going to have to work on these skins to hydrate them back. You can also try injecting the water into the hard spots.
    Now after it’s in the pickle your going to have to try and get those greasy areas out but you may not be able to get it out.
    I do like trubonds or even pro 1 dregreasing products for most degreasing. It’s generally in a bath for 3-4 hours but I have worked them 6/8 hrs plus it may take 2-4 times to get it out. When this fails then you can apply straight degreaser on it and work that in and leave it on the skins overnight and back in the pickle.