1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sizing Deer Capes For Manikins

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by akhenenra, Oct 28, 2021.

1. akhenenra

akhenenra Member

Curious about the general method people use to measure capes for mounting. I recently mounted a cape on a manikin that at first seemed like it would never fit, not even close. Used a couple layers of Krow Oil and waited a day and it actually went on, it probably stretched 4+ inches. And I haven't had problems with drumming or the cape shifting. So in the future when I'm measuring capes, do I estimate getting another couple inches out of it, or do I just go with exactly what the cape measures coming out of the freezer? These would be in a situation where I didn't have the measurements off the actual deer body. I guess what I'm asking is- is it better to squeeze it a little or risk it being too large? Thanks

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

For one you should use the measurements u get from unskinned head . When you over stretch a hide the hair patterns change and become distorted, so just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

akhenenra, Fallenscale and drob like this.

3. akhenenra

akhenenra Member

Yes I understand, but as I get my capes from other people and don't skin them myself, I usually don't have that information, I have to go with the cape. Sometimes they tell me what they measured but I've found that to be inaccurate before so I measure myself before I spend money on a manikin

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

If you are buying already tanned capes, hydrate the capes and stretch them out. Take your measurements from the cape and order your form according to those measurements. Do not order a form any larger than the cape measures laying flat. You don’t want to have to force a cape on or overly stretch it to make it fit. I think it is better to err a 1/2” or so smaller rather than risk it being too tight. Just my opinion…

akhenenra likes this.
  5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yes you do have the information, it’s your cape. Green or tanned you can get what you need from it .

akhenenra likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

My method is a little unorthodox. During deer season, I keep a 20” form on a mounting stand in my skinning room. After caping and rough fleshing, I slip each cape on the manikin. For correct size, I add or delete inches based on the fit. Additionally, I trim off excess cape while it’s on the form to save on freezer space.