1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Month In Fish Pictures "autumn Edition" November / December 2021!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Really don’t like doing these. But if you do enough of them you can do a decent one in a couple hours. 77E438F6-B3CA-49CF-8DEC-AF78008216DA.jpeg

JE, Cutthroat, ARUsher and 7 others like this.
  2. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Active Member

Mud it would take me a couple hours to figure out where to start . . . and that my friend is why I aint no fish guy. Great work as always

3. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Skinmount drop back steelhead. Thing lost so many damn scales.
    2589E495-DDF1-45E5-B2DD-61A80D6E2A77.jpeg

4. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Very nice Ryan! You captured the transition color phase perfectly in a river run pre spawn fish. Your color layering and detail is exceptional. What detail airbrush do you use for your spotting and fine airbrush work?

5. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I do all my airbrushing with a hp b+.
    Customer actually didn’t like it to many spots and missing scales. If I knew what I do now I never would have excepted a steelhead from that time of year cause they lose scales so bad.
    And for the price paid I wasn’t going to hand paint them all back in. After the deal I cut him( had it for quit a while) he was only paying 11.5 per inch. Buuuttttt… I like the guy so I’m going to repaint it.

6. Crittrstuffr

Mudbat as stated earlier I'm not a fish guy but I have a question? What makes you do a skin mount over a blank? If they present an issue with scale loss why not just use artificial bodies? I could never tell the difference between the two from your pictures anyway. Just curious.

7. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

for one it’s cheaper to get a skinmount done. Which is actually bass akwards because it’s typically wayyyy more work.
    He wanted a exact replica. I’ll sculpt a lot but there is a fee for that. And they didn’t want to pay that.
    At the time I took this fish on I wasn’t comfortable enough with making my own molds. Now a days I would have just offered to mold it.
    I won’t skinmount a fish any longer unless it’s my own for a comp.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  8. crablover

Ryan, pre spawn river Steelhead are notorious for scale loss prior to their spring breeding. The color transition is quite dynamic and is a typical trait displayed in salmon and trout that migrate into river systems to spawn. Steelhead color in post spawn turns almost black as do Atlantic salmon prior to returning to either the ocean or lake. The dark phase occurs in late spring and it is common that major scale loss is evident until they return from the river and transform again into a bright fish. My comment on your coloration was how accurately you captured a transition fish. Very well done!

9. Crittrstuffr

It sounds a little bass-ackwards to me too. Thanks for the information

10. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Arp 3D heading out to Utah.
    Tommy 20211216_103334.jpg

JE, Richs Taxidermy, ARUsher and 3 others like this.
  11. JE

JE Well-Known Member

A couple of Tigers, the biggest at about twenty lbs, excellent blanks from Rian Potgieter makes life easier ! Must make a point of visiting Taxi net more often in 2022 !

Attached Files:

ARUsher, hambone, Richard C and 2 others like this.
  12. crablover

Very nice looking blanks John and quality finishing and paint work

13. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

arn"t we all getting carried away with the scale tipping on bass

14. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    It depends on what waters the bass come out of