1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Carolina Fur Dressing Shutting Down

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Manny81, Nov 10, 2021.

1. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

Pepi would come to the shop (in Michigan) I worked at in the early 70s and take use out for dinner we sent so much tanning to them

Lance.G likes this.
  2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

15pt, the success in living to old age is measured in what you've learned. I learned later than some, that DP is a desiccant. Tjat means it dries the hide quickly, locking the hair in. Yet in the presence of moisture, it activates and starts resorting water. Unless your trophy room is humidity controlled, the mount becomes tacky from the moisture. This wet/dry cycle leads to skin cracks (usually eyelids, nostrils, nictitating membranes, and lips pulling out. In my experience, the hair tends to be duller and more quickly bleached by sunlight.

Kerby Ross and wa like this.

3. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Well, I made the right decision a couple years ago when I quit doing African safari's ,bears, or anything I had to send off. I used Carolina for years and always said I would quit if they quit. No way in hell I would send my stuff any where else...PERIOD!! They are the best and are worth twice what they charge, if for no other reason than the feeling of confidence I had with sending them my clients God awful expensive, and one might even suggest "priceless" trophies!

PS...been using DP on everything from squirrels to elk for 40 years and even though I live in one of the dam most humid, bug infested places in the country, I have never once had any of the issues some seem to have! It could just be pure luck but I have a feeling that if you are having issues with ANY of the methods of preservation out there it is YOU not the method, for there is always those who seem to have tremendous success with them, what ever the method!

buckfever*, Glenn M and 15pt like this.
  4. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Glad I'm not dependent upon a tannery.

I have a dry preserved deer in the attic of my home that I've been trying to destroy for almost 10 years now. I live in a subtropical climate (east Texas) with extreme heat and humidity. Every time I drag decorations from the attic, I look the deer over... it's still completely intact with no splits, cracks or busted seams yet.

15pt and Ron B like this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Some how, I'm guessing that ain't luck.

Dave Byrd and 15pt like this.
  6. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    A tanned hide will crack over time like anything else that gets dried out.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    Kerby Ross, Dave Byrd and Glenn M like this.
  7. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    I'm sure I've got alot more moisture in my parts than you, but if you really believe that I'm happy for you. Alot of well known and successful businesses that have used it for years with great success. I've seen tanned hides as brittle as dried mud in 10 yrs.

8. Not to mention acid rot. At least thats not a concern with the white powder.

Dave Byrd and 15pt like this.
  9. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

I am always a little suspicious when people say they cant find good help. I know lots of businesses that have plenty of quality employees and a line around the block of eager folks with application and resume in hand. They all have one thing in common, they pay and treat their employees well. Not trying to insinuate that CFD didnt, I'm just speaking on personal observation in my area.

DP is the winning choice for anyone who makes any attempt whatsoever to keep their prices accessible to down home working people, not just the rich kids - I ship some of my stuff to tanneries but not for the tan but to save time on fleshing.... this year Im buying a quebec flesher to solve that issue.... hearing this I am glad I made that decision, because I agree that it looks like all the other tanneries are going to be even more backed up. I hear Old Barn has >1 year turnaround time now...

remember people - theres a difference between Bess Maid and other DPs (sometimes, I suspect many house brand DPs come from Touchstone) Bess Maid is a superior product

10. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I live in a fly over country middle class neighborhood. And that runs on the lower side of middle class. We get a lot of bread and butter deer head work from the locals.

They drive nicer vehicles than I do.

Taxidermy is a luxury item, we are not going to go cheap so they can save a few dollars, when they apparently can afford it if they want too.

Being a starving artist/taxidermist does not appeal to me. I will not suffer for the craft.

D.Price and Clew like this.
  11. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Well said
    If they can make decent money in there jobs why can’t we
    Even now that I retired from my full time job

12. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’m not going to cut corners or give my work away , my price is my price , I do give discounts to older clients that’s been with me for years as a appreciation kinda thing . And I’ll give someone that brings me new clients a finders fee kinda thing . But I’m $885 a deer head this year. If I can’t get that I’ll stop mounting critters full time and give it up . I’ll only use DP on birds and I don’t do birds .

Jim McNamara and Keith like this.
  13. Clovis Point

I am not saying I work for free, I just apply smart business decisions that save money, like ordering an entire years worth of forms at one time to save on shipping and get discounts, ordering my forms from Research and James Supply as opposed to Big Mac and Matuska, getting non-taxidermy specific supplies (like bondo, pins, scalpel blades etc) from amazon or local retailers. etc. I also make a few calculated cuts where I think the added expenditure isnt going to equal substantial return, for example, other than 1 or 2 competition peices a year I bondo my ears, let a shot of flesh colored paint serve as my spetums and I carve out my noses instead of a $24 replacement nose, andI use $11 payer eyes instead of dropping $14 on liners and $24 on meader eyes and while I use critter clay on my eye sets I use cheap hobby lobby clay in my ear butts .... That right there saves about $70 ..... Doing things the smart way saves money, and instead of pocketing savings, I pass them on to my customers

I GARUNTEE that if I placed one of my deer with a regualar carved nose, payer eyes, and bondo ears next to a deer I mounted with the same amount of skill using an artifical nose, meader eyes, and earliners/butts and asked my customers if they would rather have the first at $440 or the second at $510, every single one of them would choose the first, every single time.

14. Clovis Point

Taxidermists get too worked up trying to impress other taxidermists, regular people dont go to looking at a mount with a flashlight... Theyre just looking at the antlers anyway, I dont want to have to educate someone in order to justify fleecing them

15pt likes this.