1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hartebeest Horns Removal

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by donkeyman, Nov 11, 2021.

1. donkeyman

donkeyman Member

I have not done a hartebeest before but assume they are like most other horn species and the horns will twist off the cores when loose . I have at least 1/2" play up and down and very loose all around - have even tried tapping them out with skull in a vise after filling void with boiling water but still not gaining any ground. Am I missing something with this particular species because of the turn back in the horn configuration - any knowledgeable advise appreciated. thanks

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Rubber mallet plus two people or in a vice to hold and pry. Your having suction going on . Don’t be afraid of drilling a hole to help prevent it.

3. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

This is one of the African species who's horns can not be removed from the core, just like Impala, Wildebeest, Cape Buffalo. LMAO about the suction comment

John C likes this.
  4. crablover

Frank, as a master taxidermist I would think you would know the horn removal issues with some of Africa's plains game animals. As the OP stated the horns are loose from the core, so how could suction have anything to with his issue?

5. Frank E. Kotula

Cause there is still a membrane in the core that needs to get rotted out and can cause this issue. Seen it time and time again

6. crablover

Seriously Frank? By the time they are over boiled in Africa, dried completely, dusted per export requirements then inspected for any remaining natural tissue, there is nothing left to rot away as you claim. If what you say is accurate, they would fail export examination as well as USDA sign off at the designated port of entry. Anyone with experience dealing with spiral horn plains game would know what you are saying is inaccurate, since Hartebeest horns will not come off even if you claim you have "seen it time and time again".

John C and Keith like this.
  7. Frank E. Kotula

Lol thanks crab! I really had a DUH!! moment here thinking of something else! Where my head was lol In a bad spot Thee mind was on a different species!!
    Well appreciated to remind me!

Keith likes this.
  8. crablover

Frank, I got your reply and you are the fool here. Where do you think Hartebeest come from? Surely not a native US species. Regardless, just the horn shape without your suction and membrane joke answers the horns will not come off. Anyone who has actually done Hartebeest mounts knows this, and you most likely have never mounted one. As a master, instructor and judge most would assume you know what you are talking about, but in this case you are clueless and offered the OP inaccurate information that could ruin his horns. In your reply to me you claim every Hartebeest horn set you have received the horns are free from the core. That is complete BS and a lie. As I stated above, the shape of the horns will not, WILL NOT allow removal. Read what is said by this dipper and packer who has done hundreds over the years. Also, in your reply you said I can't read. Maybe you should make your reply public so everyone can see what a fool you are regarding this post.

http://swiftdip.co.za/services/processing-of-trophies

9. crablover

Here is your message to me Frank that was not public. Who is the fool here?
    He didn’t say he got them from Africa please read his post as we can get these species in the states so seriously learn to read before you jump and make yourself look foolish on here.
    If he said they came from Africa their usually removed and I say usually cause I’ve never had them come not removed !

10. crablover

95994-Hartebeest-2-WR (2).jpg Frank, just the shape of the horn sheath and bone core as in these pix, clearly show horn removable is impossible. This is after you have broken suction and removed the membrane. As you stated, "time and time again" you always get them with the sheath removed.......total BS! Fact is, you have no idea what you are talking about, and I would bet you have never mounted a Hartebeest, period! 45744-Hartebeest-1-WRW (2).jpg 45744-Hartebeest-1-WRW (2).jpg

11. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Hey, we're all human.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.