1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shop Insurance

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by MBtaxi, Nov 21, 2021.

1. MBtaxi

MBtaxi New Member

Anyone know of a good insurance company to work with? One that understands the taxidermy industry and how to price out a claim? Just shopping around and figured I would ask on here. I work with a ton of high fence ranch elk and they are pricey to shoot at the ranch I work with. Thanks!

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The Hartford has a policy that is tailored for taxidermy. My policy covers my building, contents, and liability. My monthly premium is around $180. Many out there think their home insurance will cover taxidermy...it won't. State Farm will not cover anything dealing with taxidermy. If your home goes up in flames, and State Farm finds that you had a taxidermy shop in your garage or basement, they WILL NOT cover the loss. I had to drop them years ago for this reason.

3. MBtaxi

MBtaxi New Member

Great! Thank you I really appreciate it, I did know that my home owners insurance wouldn't cover me. I actually had a small claim years and years ago when I had a freezer go out. I also had State Farm at the time. They drug it out and eventually didn't pay a dime. They told me they couldn't come up with a price for what was lost. Thankfully it was mostly my own stuff and only a couple customers things, which I was able to replace out of my own pocket and all was well. The customers were understanding thankfully.

I will check into Hartford for sure and get a quote.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I have Acuity Insurance. Between them and my agent, they customized a policy for my taxidermy business. Under $700 a year.

MBtaxi and joeym like this.
  5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Something also to consider is what you need covered. In my case I needed to carry something called bailey's coverage, it covers mounts being displayed elsewhere and if I'm not mistaken, even mounts being transported. I have mounts displayed at a store which is part of a big franchise in the upper region of the US.

MBtaxi and joeym like this.
  6. MBtaxi

MBtaxi New Member

Great! I will check them out as well. From what I can tell the Hartford Buck will be around $1700.00 a year for coverage that I need. But I was curious how that worked if I was transporting the mounts in my personal vehicle. I also work from home on some mounts but they pay me as a W2 not a 1099 on those. So thats a little different situation. Im sure the agent can answer but it sounds like the baileys coverage may solve part of this. I work with a lot of high fence ranch bulls so deciding what they are worth is a bit tricky. The owner of the ranch figures it would need to cover the base price of their hunt which is anywhere from $7k to $80k I don't have a ton of them on my own property at one time, but the wide range of value makes it difficult to figure out what I need exactly, and maybe an attorney would tell you its really only market value for the antlers (price per pound, or cost to replace just the antlers) and cape? again hopefully an agent or attorney could answer this.

7. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I believe the ranch owner is wrong. If a loss occurs of say a hide and antlers, hunters do not get another hunt. Granted, I realize antlers are one of a kind, but the only thing insured are the hide and antlers. The insurance company will not pay for the "experience" of another hunt.

joeym and 3bears like this.
  8. MBtaxi

MBtaxi New Member

That is my thinking too. I definitely need to get an answer from someone more knowledgable than I am on the specifics of what they are worth.

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I think that your general liability will help if someone brings a lawsuit to cover the hunt. It would be a fight for your insurance company to fight. Your insurer could answer that question.

Keith likes this.
  10. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Could you have the customer sign an agreement that the skins and antlers etc. have a fixed value of $500 or $1000 or whatever, and no other liability exists for any loss including anything incidental or consequential? Just an idea.

11. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Antlers from my state have a value of ZERO, regardless of size. They cannot be sold, unless cut into pieces for craft use, such as knife handles.

12. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

sorry for meandering off topic, but KY recently just passed a law allowing for the sale of taxidermy (not all wildlife but taxidermy). They want us to fill out a little sheet thats supposed to stay with the mount and a copy retained by seller and report annually number and nature of mounts sold but they arent taxed.

Joey, is that $170 for your building as well as contents? building and home? seems pricey too me depending on the value of the insured... my homeowners is pretty cheap but I only have a sixty thousand dollar home so Im not reallly knowledgable enough for context

13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Building ($100,000) contents, and liability insurance. My home insurance is cheaper. I think. valued at $500K. The reason for the difference is the the shop is considered commercial property . I pay an additional $130 monthly for workers comp insurance for my 2 employees. I work for the insurance companies!