1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing Beetles From Skulls?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Beast+Bone, Nov 22, 2021.

1. hey guys i think my first beetle cleaned skull is about ready to come out and start degreasing. Im curious how you guys get most of the beetles out of a skull when you take it out of the colony? Im sure there will always be some stragglers but since i'm still trying to build my colony numbers I would like to get as many out as possible. I was thinking maybe I would try to hang the skull over the bedding for a day or so in hopes that most of them would just fall out? or putting the skull in a tupperware tote with some food on the other side to coax them out? just curious what everyone else does? am i over thinking it, just give it a few good shakes and call it good?

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Most will come out when the food source is gone . Yea I always just give it a few good shakes then set it to the side for a bit and shake again . Might fo that a few times . Trust me you don’t want to have larva up in there that you can’t get to .

3. Elkarcher

Elkarcher Member

Alaska
    Don't know how big your beetle enclosure is but I use compressed air. Lightly cause it can make a mess, then I soak the skull in cold water for 24 hrs, most will float out or drown. Then you can catch the floaters and put them back in the hive. Hope this helps.

Tim

Beast+Bone likes this.
  4. I was just thinking about gently blowing out what I could with compressed air, I think I will do that after giving it a few shakes.

5. Elkarcher

Elkarcher Member

Alaska
    Just don't blow out the nasal cavity. That's real easy to do. Wood hammer works great also to get those stubborn bugs out. They like to hold out in the brain cavity so triple check that.

I have a very big beetle box so I dont get to worried about blowing the frass around to much.

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I hang the skull for a day, and most come out and fall back into the dermesterium. You can place the skull in a freezer for about 15 minutes, take it out and tap on it. Many more will fall out. Generally, if I place one in the freezer, its hours later before I think about it, and they are toast!

7. Kevin Strock

Kevin Strock Member

I hit the skull with a sand mallet and the vibration get them moving out of it. Then I will put the skull in a refrigerator over night in a container and the rest will crawl out and then I can return them back to the colony