1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antler Repair

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Slick Beaver, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Slick Beaver

Slick Beaver New Member

I have to rebuild a split G3 on a whitetail. It broke off at the base….. I’m looking to see what is best to use to rebuild and sculpt the antler. My thoughts were drill a hole into the beam glue in wire to desired length and shape, 2. I have apoxie sculpt gray to form the antler. Can this be easily toned to match the color of antlers? Is there a better product for toning? Dark on the base and slowly converts to lighter color on the tips. Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    fixit sculpt another Aves product, it is bone colored and accepts paint well.

Slick Beaver likes this.

3. Slick Beaver

Slick Beaver New Member

Is it easily sculpted? I watched her video on the difference between them but was worried it maybe to runny.

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Apoxy clay from them , it has no shine . Excepts paints great also .

Slick Beaver likes this.
  5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It works just the same but the fixit sculpt I've gotten actually was a tad thicker, density wise, than apoxy sculpt.

Slick Beaver likes this.
  6. Slick Beaver

Slick Beaver New Member

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like either will work fine. I’m thinking I’ll try apoxie sculpt since I have it on hand, and just airbrush the finished horn. Can’t thank you enough for your input as I’ve struggled with local shops to help in anyway. I’m a believer in passing knowledge on to the next to make everyone better, glad to see lots of folks still believe that also.

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You're welcome, I believe in helping when I can. FYI apoxie sculpt will work but you have to build it up in more layers and definitely have to prime more of the antler to blend it than with fixit.

Slick Beaver likes this.
  8. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I also very much believe in helping others out, sharing what we’ve learned. I have learned a lot on this forum and am very appreciative of those who take the time to help. One crucial thing I’ve learned is to heed the advice and take note of the experience others take the time to share with me. In the comments here you’ll notice that Apoxie Sculpt and Fixit are made by the same company. One of the products (Fixit) is specifically designed for antler repair. You can use Apoxie Sculpt, as I have in the past for the very reason you expressed - I have it on hand and why purchase another product when this (Apoxie Sculpt) will work? And it does work, but not as well as the product specifically made for that purpose. Now having tried Fixit for antler repair, I will not go back. I could get close to the same results with Apoxie Sculpt but it took a lot more time and work to do so. Be sure and look at a few tutorials on staining the antler repair as well. Just my two cents.

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Fix-it is great for antler repair. I was introduced to it years ago at an NTA convention as Dave Hale totally built a set of antlers using it. If one has a lot of annual antler repair, casting with dragon-skin, then pouring a tine using Reynolds 320 casting compound is the way to go.

Slick Beaver likes this.
  10. Slick Beaver

Slick Beaver New Member

Th
    Thank you very much, your feedback is very well taken. I will continue to research, and value everyone’s experience. Thank you!