1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Advice For Selling Huge Taxidermy Collection

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by My2boysrule, Nov 23, 2021.

1. My2boysrule

My2boysrule New Member

Looking for advice on avenues for selling a giant taxidermy collection. I inherited my fathers trophies that he took from
    all over the world. There is 400-450 pieces. Far too many to try to list each one and answer questions, sell individually. Africa, Russia, new Zealand, Mexico, N America. Maybe 100 full body mounts of lions, leopards, sheep, deer, ducks, most Africans game. Hippos, elephant, replica rhino. You name it, he has it. I don’t have the desire to live in a size house it takes to house all these animals. His entire house and every room was built to house his taxidermy collection. I’ve dealt with all the big box stores, local game and fish and done all that homework on trying to keep the collection together. It’s just too large and takes up so much space. This is the hardest things I’ve ever done is to sell his animals but I pay over $50k a year just to store them in a climate controlled storage place. I want to keep them but it just isn’t practical.
    Are there large companies that can help sell collections or big sales to put them in. I don’t keep up with big sales or taxidermy auctions so I don’t know where to start. His collection has been featured on magazines and trough rooms of the world book. Any help or guidance as to where to begin to try to sell this off. Thanks in advance.

vermins.curious likes this.
  2. Sent you a Conversation message with a potential sales lead and a personal inquiry, good luck re-homing your father's collection!

3. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

What state are they located in ?

4. My2boysrule

My2boysrule New Member

Tbey
    Arkansas. I could get a couple 18 wheelers and ship them to a sale if need be

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Try calling or Google movie prop houses . They usually will buy it all . As they will rent them out as movie props on film and movies being filmed , or call any big auction houses like in Vegas let them take the collection over do appraisal and auction it off . You won’t get as much but you won’t have to deal with it. Might be worth loosing the head ache of it all .

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Honestly, you might do better donating them to a natural science museum. 50K for annual storage is eating heavily at any proceeds you might get from the collection.

7. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Kinda what I was thinking also. There is somebody in Austin Tx that buys this kinda thing but I'll have to research it.

8. wildwoodpark

wildwoodpark Member

Sent you a Conversation Message with a strong suggestion on the very best way to dispose of this collection, based on 20+ years dealing with taxidermy items. Happy Thanksgiving!

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The two biggest auction houses around would take them and auction them for you. One is Lolli Brothers http://www.lollibros.com/

And the other is Circle M https://circlemauctions.com/spring-whitetail-classic/

You could call them and see if they would be interested. As you say that this collection has been featured before in publications, it is known in the hunting and taxidermy circles and it probably has value for collectors. Keeping the collection together probably isn't feasible for anyone but you can always try asking at a few museums. Understand that they may not have the room to dedicate to it either. Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops also display taxidermy in their stores. Contacting them is another possibility

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021