1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hooded Merg Crowns..

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by allison1952, Nov 23, 2021.

1. allison1952

allison1952 Member

can i get some insight on how to stand the crown up, and make it stay, on hooded mergansers using the original head,after making the neck bend just can't make it stand all the way up.. appreciate any and all help..

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Take critter clay and build a pointed wedge on top of the skull. This will allow the crown to be taxied correctly. When done correctly, they are awesome! Here are a couple I did ages ago...https://www.mstaxidermist.com/_DuckHoodies.jpg

3. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

First get the quills very well cleaned. I take a fresh scalpel blade and gently separate the membrane between the rows of quills and degrease very well. You can use joeys suggestion or apoxy sculpt type stuff to creat a crown on the head before turning the skin back out. I use air to groom . Another trick is to take a probe and work the quills from inside the skin. Check your references as the hood opens up very full, not flat sided at all.
    Jim

joeym likes this.
  4. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Active Member

As the others have said plus taxi the skin forward and use air to get it to stand up. I inject caulk through the eye hole to the top area of the head to hold the skin. Cleaning the skin underneath the crest to allow the quills freedom to move is key.

Jeff70 likes this.
  5. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Like said above: thorough cleaning to get the quills freed up so the caulk can capture the ends and they are taxi-able. The skin has to fit loose on the skull, if it is tight, the quill bases will be smashed against the skin and lay flat. Same thing happens if there is much tissue left around the quill butts, it will dry/shrink and do the same.

I would use an artificial head. Mergansers have about the smallest bill base of all ducks, so reattachment is a breeze. Doing so will allow you wheel the entire head and get that crest to do what you want.

Its then a preening show, a couple times a day until the caulk sets.

bryan115 likes this.
  6. allison1952

allison1952 Member

7. allison1952

allison1952 Member

thanks everyone for all your insight