1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My First Mounts I Have Ever Done.

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Shane Leksell, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Shane Leksell

Shane Leksell New Member

VA
    This is the pair that flew in and was my dogs first two retrieves this season. Also my first birds or anything to that amount that I have ever mounted. I used hair dryer and down feathers was still wet as i was told. Now i know to use a shop vac in reverse and have thw whole bird fluffed before starting the work. I think the drake turned out pretty good and the hen was all shot up but i did my best.

Attached Files:

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Hey, you succeeded in mounting them without giving up! That's way farther than most ever get with birds! Make each mount better than the last, and you will be producing some nice birds soon! Get reference photos of live birds, and concentrate on correct anatomy. Congratulations on completing your first two bird mounts!

3. As already stated, you got through the first two mounts without quitting. Save those mounts so you can see how you progressed from then to now. Good luck!! Taxidermy is a wonderful art.

4. Shane Leksell

Shane Leksell New Member

VA
    Thank you

5. Shane Leksell

Shane Leksell New Member

VA
    Thank you

6. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Shane, you started with two tuff birds for your first. So bravo on that. Proper de fatting on toilet paper skins can drive you nuts, but is so important for clean mounts. It appears you need to spend more time during the washing process. Any fat left on the interior skin will end up in your water and transfer to the feathers, leaving them looking greasy. Soap and wash until your water is clear, then wash again. Never mount a wet or damp bird and when drying if it does not fluff up, wash it again until it does. Great effort on a challenging species