1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Waterfowl Dead Mounts

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by allison1952, Nov 24, 2021.

1. allison1952

allison1952 Member

is it necessary to wire the wings on dead mounts, or??

2. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

If you can create the illusion without wiring then no. I wire everything because it’s just easier for me. The end result is all that matters, exactly how you got there or the products you used don’t. You make the rules for you! Hope this helps

Wildthings likes this.

3. Yes sir, wire them. Gives you more control for more realism. If it ain't real it ain't right. Also, don't over extend the wings. They dont weight 10lbs, and unless it's wing is shot up and broken, a normal dead bird isnt gonna hang with its wings and eyes wide open like you see on a lot of shabby dead mounts. Make it believable.

Wildthings and Jim McNamara like this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I used all wing bones and wired all mounts. I found it so much easier. I used light gauge annealed wire.

joeym likes this.
  5. allison1952

allison1952 Member

thanks for the imfo guys

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  6. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Allison, as mentioned above, it is a good choice to wire with any of the suggested material above. Stipped 12 or 14 gauge copper house electrical wire is what I use, since it is so easy to wrap all the wing bones with out having to use tape or thread to secure it to the bone. Very easy to work with, and can be easily found. 12 gauge copper was used on this Gadwall pair Gadwalls (3).jpg