1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Velvet White Tail Question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 13 point, Nov 24, 2021.

1. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

So years ago I would soak my velvet racks I got in, in denatured alcohol for a few weeks then just let them dry , and never had an issue . I didn’t do a lot because the season came in well after they shed . Now I would just send out to freeze dry . But with shipping and drying it’s adding dang near $300 to the cost . So I told my client this and said I could soak them like I use to for bout 1/2 the cost but no guarantee. That said I soaked them and took them out after 3 week . They seem to be fine but parts of the rack stayed it natural color while other parts took on a whitish dry look . It’s been years but am I missing something? Did I forget something ? Should I put tanning cream on it to get color back , thanks for any info .

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I haven't done whitetail but have done caribou, I injected them with velvet tan and then soaked them in DA and it has worked good with no noticeable color changes. I'm sure the tan would have been enough but I was concerned that I didn't get it injected everywhere.

3. 13 point

Just one reply come on boys and girls . HELP LOL

4. tem

tem Well-Known Member

sorry. Iv never done one.

5. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I have both injected and soaked, but have never faced the issue with discoloration you are experiencing and cannot think of anything that would cause that. I don’t think applying a tanning cream would hurt, but neither do I think it would help restore the color at this point. It might, and it may not hurt to try it. If it were me, I would just airbrush the faded spots to match the rest of the antler. Sorry, it’s not much help. Maybe Joey will pop on here and see this. He has had a lot of experience with DA on velvet antlers and may be able to shed more light on your specific situation.

6. 13 point

Thanks Mike for your input , was thinking bout the paint thing but it like the whole G -3 and part of the beam on one then the part of the G-2 and big area of the main beam on the other, kinda like if it had salt residue on it kinda look . I could take a pic or 2 if needed .

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

The salt residue idea makes sense as a possible cause. In that case I think a tanning cream or the brush on antler in velvet oil, might actually clean the residue off and restore the color. Post a picture if you can. It would be interesting to see and it might help identify the cause of the discoloration.

8. 13 point

Here’s a few pics of the rack 022C37A0-67FC-47A8-B566-7B61C216F2FE.jpeg D2AFE560-4501-4D3C-975E-7263A3922669.jpeg BC024F5F-61C8-46BB-BEA3-7D70F273AABB.jpeg