1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Brown Carpet Beetle

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Henrik_M, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Henrik_M

Henrik_M New Member

Sweden
    Hello, I bought a walrus skull some time ago and it looks like it has some brown carpet beetles inside of it. Which method should in employ to get rid of them? I have read that freezing the skull for a week works well, but I am afraid that this will create cracks and damage the skull. Maybe it doesn´t? Or perhaps you guys on this forum know another, more effective method?

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Drowning: put in clear water , move it around to get air pockets out . Leave in for a week

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I really don't think that freezing will affect the skull. But, if that bothers you, beetles are extremely susceptible to permethrins. Spray the skull with Lowes flea & bedbug spray, and they will be toast. This product was recommended by George ages ago, and it is extremely effective today!

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Get the tusks out and any teeth you can before soaking. You can soak it for a day and any beetles should drown by then. Slosh it around good to get any air pockets out. If the skull is dirty at all, add a couple of cups of ammonia to the water and it will help to dislodge any dirt. If the tusks are stuck in it, bag it and spray some insecticide in the bag and seal it for a week before opening it.As above, any good permethrin spray will work.

I have one as well. Would love to see yours.