1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oil For Softening Pelts

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Cbooth22, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Cbooth22

Cbooth22 New Member

Is there any DIY oils to help soften my pelt? I have "tanned" it in denatured alcohol.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

You may have pickled it but it’s not tanned , you need to get a tanning cream . And yes you can buy it from suppliers . Then you can also but a softening cream . But you will still have to break it to be soft .

Frank E. Kotula likes this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Indeed alcohol and a lot of home made up products that claim to be tanned are only preserved.
    Go to a site called tru-bond tanning products https://trubondtanning.com/
    and get their products as it’s made not only for the professional tannery but they sell the same products for you home tanners learning on how to tan.
    Learn proper pickles as there so many you can use to pickle a hide, degreasing where needed , neutralizing then tanning and oiling or using a rub on tan with tanning oils in it.

Vulpes Vulpes likes this.
  4. Cbooth22

Cbooth22 New Member

So if I leave it "pickled" it won't stay preserved?

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

It will stay preserved if taken care of, but oil wont soften it.

6. 13 point

And it’s not tanned , huge difference between tanning and preserving

7. Cbooth22

Cbooth22 New Member

Could you please explain? I'm not trying to sound rude or anything, I'm new to this and I'm Genuinely curious

8. 13 point

Without sounding rude , let me try to put this in layman’s terms . 95 % of the time when you preserve you are not changing the structure of the hide and if washed out or over hydrated it will basically become a raw hide again .
    TANNED you are actually changing the structure of the hide and changing the fibers , turning it in to leather that can never be washed out as it is now basically something completely different , if that makes sense to ya .

9. Cbooth22

Cbooth22 New Member

Yes sir it does. Thank you. I hope that didn't sound like a smart alec. I was truly curious. Thank you again sir

10. 13 point

It’s all good