1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Form Alterations

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Bigjon2, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Bigjon2

Bigjon2 Member

IL
    I am looking to alter a form for a muskrat. I originally bought a swimming form from Mckenzie that fit my first muskrat (12 inches from N-T), but had to scrap after the hair started slipping real bad. Fast forward to my most recent muskrat that I am attempting to mount which is 15 inches N-T. It holds sentimental value so I don't really want to try attempting to wrap a form for the first time. I am very familiar with altering scale figures (when I used to do plastic scale models of horses and the like) but have never really done enough in the Taxidermy scene to call myself good at it.

If I altered my form from 12 inches to fit 15 inches nose to tail, is that possible to do if I adjust the rest of the body too?
    Can you alter a form to fit a hide that big of a size difference without it looking wrong?

Thanks for the help!

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Is it possible, yes. Is it going to be easy, no. Everything will need to be scaled down to go from a 15 to a 12 inch carcass...head, legs, body length, and circumference. You will be way ahead to purchase the correct mannikin if this specimen means a lot to you.

3. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

You can do it, just take measurements from the one you want to mount and make it fit. Like Joey said wont be easy but I think it's a good skill to have.

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Going from a larger form to a smaller is easier, IMO, than going from a smaller form (12”) to a larger one (the 15”). Legs, neck, head, etc will be proportionally larger and longer. Both are doable and it is a skill taxidermists need to develop, but it will require some work, time for some trial and error, and a good bit of patience. If you’re going to attempt the alteration of the form, I would suggest watching a few tutorial videos on form alterations, especially ones involving enlarging a form. If you don’t feel up to experimentation and want this mount to have the best shot at turning out as good as possible, I would take Joey’s advice and get a form that fits the hide you have.

5. Bigjon2

Bigjon2 Member

IL
    Thanks for the help everyone!

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

You really need the carcass as a guide to make the correct alterations.