1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hooking Up Thermostat To Degreasing Tank

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Beast+Bone, Nov 30, 2021.

1. hey guys, i have been searching the forum for help on this but i havent been able to find much and the stuff i can find i am not able to view the pictures for some reason. so im sorry if this has been beaten to death.

i see a lot of guys on here use us coolers with water heater elements and thermostats. Im trying to figure out how you get the thermostat to work. I think it has to feel the warmth of the water through the cooler walls to work properly, correct? how is everyone mounting their thermostats on the outside of an insulated cooler and getting any heat readings? i was thinking maybe using long enough bolts to mount it that they would go through into the water side of the cooler?? would that transfer heat good enough to make the thermostat work?

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Most water heater elements are threaded. You will need to install the correct bushing in your cooler to accept the element. Word of warning: You are mixing water with electricity. Install ground fault protection, and never place your hands in the cooler with the power on.

3. I’ve got the element mounted. I found a pvc fitting with the same thread and siliconed that into the cooler (hopefully ammonia won’t eat through the silicone??).

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Some of the bests posts on here had the pictures broken when Photobucket tried to blackmail all their users. Sadly, many of them have not had the pictures corrected by the original posters. Sometimes, the Wayback Machine will show them though. A few of them showed where the outer shell and insulation of the cooler was removed in an area big enough to allow the temperature sensor to contact the inner wall. Having had large reptile enclosures in the past and playing with home brew a bit ... look into the Inkbird temperature sensors.

5. I already have the water heater thermostat so I will try removing the outer shell of the cooler. If that doesn’t work I will check out the inkbird stuff. That’s what I use to control my beetle enclosure. Thanks Sea Wolf!

6. For larger setups, can I use a small—ish aquarium an an aquarium heater or two (one on water end)?
    *Litterally brand new to maceration

7. I’m still pretty new to this, I have always boiled but wanted to get away from that, so someone may have a better idea but I wouldn’t think an aquarium heater would get the water hot enough for degreasing

8. i had one that went to 90F and added in dawn dish soap. Lightly stirred the water every day, the skulls I had came out pretty nice (left them in roughly 2 weeks?)

9. Sea Wolf

If I only have a few things to do at a time, I absolutely use 5 gallon buckets and an aquarium heater for maceration. There are several posts I have done on doing just this and a couple were set as tutorials geared for someone doing just one project.

There are also posts on here that I have done on hacking a particular aquarium heater to force it to go higher. Degreasing most skulls can be done at 115 degrees. Deer and sheep need to be at 120 degrees. There are also wrap around bucket heaters that have come down a lot in price and make them tempting for experimentation. A lot depends on how greasy your skulls are to begin with. Tiny things like rodents, squirrels and the like will probably degrease just fine at 90 due to the thinness of the bone and the fact that there is very little grease in them to begin with.

10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Wonder how much trouble I would be in to use our hot tub for degreasing...it's been sitting out there at 100 degrees for two years now...nobody has used it in ages! But, I betcha I'd be in a heap of trouble if momma found it full of skulls!!!

Elkarcher likes this.
  11. Now that sounds like a fun time :p Hook me up? :cool:
    Also, my skulls are usually pretty clean before I do anything with em (like, brain and eyes out, sometimes meat is on, sometimes they’re dry — air dry or salt/borax — but I haven’t had any super greasy ones... yet.)

12. Aw man, wish I had that hot tub. I’d use it for skulls AND myself D:

.... could just keep your skulls stuff inside a mesh bag, inside a garbage bag/bucket filled with water, and then throw it inside the tub to keep heat consistent? Hmmm...

13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

People are giving them away all the time on FB Marketplace.

14. Sea Wolf

I can imagine. Someone decides to use your hot tub without asking. Let the mental therapy sessions commence.

15. Sea Wolf

The "Advanced Search" is rather hidden on this sites new format. hover over "SEARCH" above and then click on "MORE". Search only the "Skulls and Skeletons' forum for lots of info.